Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1260 times
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaRaj View Post
    I havr had the exact same issues. Everyone said the same thing that it was the card and couldnt possibly be the phone. So I got a Samsung 32GB Class 10 card and was working fine and then got the message that the card had been unexpectedly removed. Went to remount the card and the option wasnt there. Just said insert card. Took card out and connected to my PC to reformat/repair and windowd was unable to format it and said an I/O error had occured. Other disk utility programs cannot detect the card either. So my S4 has completelu destroyed a genuine Samsung 32GB card and just today the other generic 64GB card has suffered the same fate. Completely dead and unreadable by any device.

Thankyou Samsung!!!!
    Please try not to post the same comment in 2 places as it can get confusing and violates the forum guidelines.
    Thanks
    SGS3 SGH-i747 / SGS4 (32GB) SGH-i337 on AT&T - and LG Optimus G Pro

Printing and file transfer tips
    WiFi connection tips. (modified 7/26/13)
    Current Adobe Flash Player for the S4 - direct download 11.1.115.81 2/10/14

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    No offense intended, but I highly doubt that it's the phone doing this.
    Apologies for double posting. Just very frustrated with this situation which is fast making me lose faith in this phone after having switched from an iPhone.

No offense taken.

What else could cause it?

The card didnt just unmount. It is completely dead and irrepairable. And the fact that it just happened to a brand new genuine Samsung card is even more mind boggling and frustrating for me.

I have tried multiple disk utility applications to see if any can repair the card but all have failed so far.

I just received my replacement Samsung card today and am very reluctant to use it in the phone.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1260 times
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Any card can go bad. It is possible for an app to corrupt it but you might want to consider a quick blast of CLEAN air on the SD card slot in the phone. There is also the possibility that the slot is in fact bad bad but I doubt that it is.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I realise cards can go bad but it just seems to cooincidental to me having both cards suffered the exact same issue not even 5 days apart.

I will give card slot a blast of air tomorrow at work and then pray for the best. I have an old spare 4gb card which I am going to use in the meantime and see if that works ok before I go using the samsung card.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1260 times
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Good idea!

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SD Card Damaged/Wiped after showing "Unexpectedly Removed" and using video recorder

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshor View Post
    Good idea!
    If people are saying that this issue is the fault of the SD Card, think again; I have had the EXACT same issue as everyone else in the Galaxy S4 suddenly saying "SD Card Removed Unexpectedly" and then the SD card won't work anywhere - in the phone, on my PC, it is GONE. It is a SanDisk 32gb Class 10, bought it in November of last year and never had any problems with it in a Samsung Play device. I had the S4 set to save photos/videos to the SD card and this occurred right after I used the camera to video a short 2 min clip of the family. I then saw the error message about a half hour later and thought the camera felt warmer and the battery losing power faster than usual; I read in another forum someone else that experienced the exact same issue as me so it doesn't sound isolated....anyone have any ideas?

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1260 times
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Welcome to the forum Railcop. I must respectfully disagree with your statement
    If people are saying that this issue is the fault of the SD Card, think again; I have had the EXACT same issue as everyone else in the Galaxy S4 suddenly saying "SD Card Removed Unexpectedly"
    as I have had a SanDisk 32GB card in my S4 from the beginning and have used it with the camera and videos without the first problem. There are plenty of people who have NOT had a problem,

I'm not claiming that the phone or something installed on the phone, or possibly a specific carrier's ROM isn't the problem,. only that you're statement is overly broad at best.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-M919
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I came across this forum doing a search for this issue, and this is far from the only place that people are posting about SD card corruption problems with the phone. Apparently some of these issues extend back to the S3 and Note 2 as well, as a quick google search indicates. I just wanted to add my experience, in the hope that Samsung actually does something about it instead of blaming user error or SD card failures.

I've had my Galaxy S4 from T-mobile for about 6 weeks, brand new, and has been babied since I got it. I wanted a 64gig card but everyone was sold out when the phone came out, so I just put in the same 8 gig card I'd had in my old HTC Sensation for the past 2 years until I could get a new card. After 2 weeks, I started getting the "SD Card unexpectedly removed" error-- not when the phone was jostled or restarted, but literally while I was taking a couple pictures at work. I snapped one photo and everything was fine, the next, I get the card removed error. I restarted the phone and the card worked for the rest of the day, and the next time I went to take a picture I was told the storage location had changed, and the card couldn't be detected. I tried it in the Galaxy, my old HTC phone, and my PC-- card was dead.

Figuring it was just due to be changed, I went out and bought a new sandisk 32 gig sd card, which worked fine for 2 weeks. Then I went through the same process, getting the card removed error message quickly followed by the card completely failing. At that point I went to T-mobile to have the phone checked out, and they thought it could be an issue with the phone. They mailed me another brand new S4 in 24 hours. When it arrived I double checked that my new card was dead in the new phone (it was,) so I returned the card to the place I'd bought it. They were sold out of the same brand of card I'd bought, so they upgraded the card, for free, to a Lexar high speed 32gig SD card, specifically stating it was for use in android devices, which retailed for $30 more than the card I'd originally bought. It worked fine out of the box, but within a day I was randomly getting "SD card removed" errors.

Having 5 days to return my old "faulty" phone, I hung onto it while testing the new card in the new phone. Low and behold, by the end of the week, the new card was completely dead and unreadable in either of the galaxy S4s or other devices. Not knowing which phone to send back, I returned the new one they'd just sent me so that at least I didn't have to re-do all my internal settings and import my contacts and all that BS while I figured out the card issue.

SO, in my 6 weeks of owning a galaxy S4, I've had 2 different galaxy S4s kill a combined total of 3 different SD cards from different brands. I've emailed Samsung technical support via their website and their facebook page. I got no response from their web service, but the facebook moderator was at least kind enough to say "thanks for the feedback, we'll pass that info along," while being unable to help me with the problem.

here is another thread I came across on the issue, none of the suggested solutions helped me: Samsung Galaxy S4 SD Card Issue - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Moderators, are you still going to try to convince me that I just had a run of bad luck with SD cards, and it couldn't POSSIBLY be a phone issue? It's bad enough that the apps to SD card and internal storage issues have been so slow to be corrected, at least on T-mobile, but with the phone killing cards and deleting pictures, I'm fed up. I chose the S4 because I'm not a big fan of the iphone interface, but at least they are consistent. I'm currently debating between switching to an iphone 5 and the HTC One, so far for me the S4 is too buggy, doesn't do half the gimmicky things it's supposed to in a USEFUL way, and worst of all, customer support doesn't seem to care about addressing these known issues.

Member #
    Device
    other
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SD Card Damaged

I just finished reviewing complaints all over the internet about the S3 killing miniSD chips just as described here. It has been a problem known to Samsung for two years and still people are suffering from the problem. It spans virtually all manufacturers of the chips from Samsung to SanDisk to PNY & others. It spans classes from 4 to 10 and all capacities. If you Google this problem for the S3, you will see many offered solutions that may/may not work or work just temporarily. Some people through much effort recover their lost images & videos, others cannot. Some say it is related to saving video directly to the miniSD chip rather than saving it to the internal memory then manually moving the completed file.

Given all these various circumstances, I believe there is a design flaw at the root of the problem.

Member #
    Twitter
    TristanVash38
    Device
    SGH-M919
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For EVERYONE who has precious data that they have lost due to a Samsung Galaxy S product telling them their "SD CARD IS DAMAGED. PLEASE TRY TO REFORMAT", I have a solution to get your data back before you make any drastic changes, beat your phone up, crush your Micro SD card like a Saiyan who was just told they were over 9000, etc.

Please go to this website, TestDisk Download - CGSecurity

Download this program and extract the folder to the desktop.

You will need an external Micro SD card USB 2.0 or 3.0 reader. I believe you may actually use your phone in this process as well, but I have not tested this. Run the "Testdisk_Win.exe" and it will load up a UI in command prompt.

This is up to you, but you may create a log file; or not have a log file at all. I chose the latter.
    I have three partitions:

Untitled.jpg

Look for one that is a mass storage device and depending on the size of your micro sd: 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB (ish)
    Notice mine says 33 GB / 30GiB

It detected my card has an Intel partion. This will generally be the choice you want to select anyways.
    Currently, the issue with my card is it's giving the same error message that everyone else here is having. It can't be read on my two desktops or laptop, and it just says "corrupted partition" or other woes in windows. I can't run a chkdsk /f /r because it simply states it is a corrupted disk.

The next option, select Analyse (Analyze*? lol)

It should say No partition is bootable. It's not like you have Windows 7 installed on this micro sd.
    Select Quick Search.
    From here, I'm assuring you know how to read and use common sense. If you hold shift and click "C", you have an option to select all found files and copy them to the desktop folder testdisk.

Once you have recovered your precious data, you may try to fix the partition, or just format and select what you want from your backup and put it back on there.

Thanks and have a great day! I hope I have helped where others have been lost.

-Vash

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links