Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Message alert tone problem

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Message alert tone problem

I have an s4 and I downloaded zedge and got quite a few text tones from it. I'm trying to set a few contacts to have their own alert tone, but whenever I go to set one, the new tones don't even show up. It's all the standard tones that come with the phone. What am I doing wrong here?

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    13 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In order to use custom ringtones or notifications they need to go into the Ringtones & Notifications folders respectively. If you know where Zedge downloaded them to you can use either your PC or the file manager on the phone to move them to the appropriate folder (which you may need to create on the root of the device itself).

ETA: Another option is to see if Zedge has a setting to tell it where to download the sounds to and change it the Ringtones folder.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiya View Post
    In order to use custom ringtones or notifications they need to go into the Ringtones & Notifications folders respectively. If you know where Zedge downloaded them to you can use either your PC or the file manager on the phone to move them to the appropriate folder (which you may need to create on the root of the device itself).

ETA: Another option is to see if Zedge has a setting to tell it where to download the sounds to and change it the Ringtones folder.
    The ring tones and such come up when I try to default just one text tone or ring tone, though. That's why I'm so confused.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    190 times
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    i'm not familiar w zedge so i'm not sure if its a limitation of the app or if theres a setting you need to change. i download .mp3 files and move them to the ringtones folder under my files.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    478 times
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    If you are trying to use a notification as a ringtone, that is the problem. Notifications and ringtones are different and stored in different folders. You can take the files from the Zedge folder located in "SD card" using the My Files app on the phone, and move them to your external SD card. Find or create a folder called media. Then within that folder create another folder, "audio" then within audio create two more, notifications and ringtones. Move Zedge tones to the appropriate folder, and profit. (I hope)
    macuser likes this.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not trying to use ringtones. They are specifically for notifications and they are stored in the notifications folder. I go to settings > sounds> notifications and the tones are there. I'll go to the contact that I'm trying to set it's own text tone, go to the notifications instead of ring tone, and the tones have disappeared.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    190 times
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trishpointoh View Post
    I'm not trying to use ringtones. They are specifically for notifications and they are stored in the notifications folder. I go to settings > sounds> notifications and the tones are there. I'll go to the contact that I'm trying to set it's own text tone, go to the notifications instead of ring tone, and the tones have disappeared.

try going into my files>all files>device storage>menu softkey>create folder>name it Notifications>and add any .mp3 file to it.
    Last edited by macuser; 06-17-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    27 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    When you try to set a tone, does it give you a choice as where to look? When I set a tone I have the choice of media storage and zedge. The first gives me those native to the phone, zedge gives me those I have downloaded.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    27 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hmmm. I just realized I have a zedge file on my sdcard (from old phone) and one on phone. The ones on my sdcard show up both in sound menu and contacts as media storage. The ones on the phone in zedge folder only show up under zedge tones when trying to assign to a contact, but with all the other sounds when in sound settings.

Maybe try copying zedge folders to sdcard.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am having the same problem. I am paged from my work at night via text and need to have a different tone. When I change the message alert under a specific contact, I do not get that alert when the person texts me. In fact, it seems pretty random. I tried to move the Zedge files to notifications, but that did not help. I even tried just using the notifications that came with the phone and again, I seem to get a random notification.

I have downloaded the handsent sms app which I had to do on my old Motorola and it allows me the change the notifications but I am having problems getting texts at night and Verizon thinks it is due to the handsent sms app and I need to try doing it with the built in messing app.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links