Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S4 gets very hot / warm in ear area. Overheating.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Samsung Galaxy S4 gets very hot / warm in ear area. Overheating.

I am wondering if anyone is having problems with their Galaxy S4 overheating? Mine gets very hot around the top speaker where your ear rests. So hot that I cannot hold it against my head. Iíve shown this to several people when it happens and everyone agrees it cannot be normal for a phone to get this hot.

I do not keep the phone in my pocket and it has good airflow. I also donít have many apps syncing in the background. What is typically running are the core services, WeChat, Whatís App, email, and Deja Office.

Any suggestions on how to keep it from getting hot? It is so warm it is unusable to be held to the ear.

*** BTW, I got this phone about 6 weeks ago and have done my best to try to use it and find solutions, but between the Wi-Fi connectivity issues, this excessive heat, and battery life only getting me through 7pm at night before needing a recharge, I have to say this has been one of the most disappointing phones I've ever had. I actually miss my HTC TouchPro 2. It was bulky but it worked solidly and ran Windows applications like Outlook and sync with no issues.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    11 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That sounds odd, I'd try taking it back to the store and hoping they don't give you a refurb.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    33 times
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    It looks like you might have gotten a defective phone.. I would recommend an exchange..

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    188 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If you have an SD card pull it out and see if it still heats up. A couple of folks have posted that removing and replacing it with another card fixed it.
    jntdroid likes this.
    Verizon - G2 Malladus - S4 Hyperdrive

Member #
    Device
    other
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by btownsend View Post
    I am wondering if anyone is having problems with their Galaxy S4 overheating? Mine gets very hot around the top speaker where your ear rests. So hot that I cannot hold it against my head. I’ve shown this to several people when it happens and everyone agrees it cannot be normal for a phone to get this hot.

I do not keep the phone in my pocket and it has good airflow. I also don’t have many apps syncing in the background. What is typically running are the core services, WeChat, What’s App, email, and Deja Office.

Any suggestions on how to keep it from getting hot? It is so warm it is unusable to be held to the ear.

*** BTW, I got this phone about 6 weeks ago and have done my best to try to use it and find solutions, but between the Wi-Fi connectivity issues, this excessive heat, and battery life only getting me through 7pm at night before needing a recharge, I have to say this has been one of the most disappointing phones I've ever had. I actually miss my HTC TouchPro 2. It was bulky but it worked solidly and ran Windows applications like Outlook and sync with no issues.
    Hi I too was having problems with the galaxys4. We have two in the house hold, one over heats in the ear piece area, and the other one also over heated until it finally went dead. Even charging it got hot. I only had it for 30 days. I shipped it to samsung company. I am still waiting for them to be returned to me. It is in a repair process. My suggestion is to send it back to the company for repairs.

Member #
    Device
    other
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the phones have a glitch. sd card or not did not make a difference. The phones have a one year warranty. I would send it to the companyfor repairs, not back to the store. Phone overheating to the point where you can not hold it to your ear is not normal.
    Beer Goggles likes this.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question

Yes, it overheats in about 5 minutes when on a phone call and too hot to place on my ear??? Also in solid 4G areas, S4 limps at 3G. Unless there is some fix, this is a terrible design!!!I see rumors of an OTA fix, but these were from May??? Where is help from Verizon or Samsung???
    and none so far.
    For now I am back to using my HTC DNA which has no problems.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have the exact same issue with overheating. Verizon has now sent me two replacement phones (all "refurbished"). Each one gets hot. Using one of the battery temperature sensing apps, it's gotten as high as 104F. Going back and forth between the latest refurb and my original phone (sent the first refurb back yesterday), both got to 97F from 84F in 20 mins talking on the phone and surfing the web at the same time. It gets too hot to hold against my ear. The phone did not get hot until after 6 weeks of ownership. It will be interesting to see if this problem crops up with more owners of the S4, over time. Also, there is scroll blur. I checked on each phone and it's worse using the Firefox app than using the native Google browser but it is still there in all three S4s I've had in my possession. I'd be interested to hear from people who sent their overheating phone into Samsung for repair how long it took to get the phone back and if they were able to fix the problem.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    42 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mine gets a little hot as well mostly if I use while phone charging. But not enough to complain I guess. I would just hate to go back and forth with refurbs. So until it becomes an issue I'll keep mine.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dg33 View Post
    I have the exact same issue with overheating. Verizon has now sent me two replacement phones (all "refurbished"). Each one gets hot. Using one of the battery temperature sensing apps, it's gotten as high as 104F. Going back and forth between the latest refurb and my original phone (sent the first refurb back yesterday), both got to 97F from 84F in 20 mins talking on the phone and surfing the web at the same time. It gets too hot to hold against my ear. The phone did not get hot until after 6 weeks of ownership. It will be interesting to see if this problem crops up with more owners of the S4, over time. Also, there is scroll blur. I checked on each phone and it's worse using the Firefox app than using the native Google browser but it is still there in all three S4s I've had in my possession. I'd be interested to hear from people who sent their overheating phone into Samsung for repair how long it took to get the phone back and if they were able to fix the problem.
    Finally got a solution (at least it's working for my phone) off of YouTube. I put the phone in CPU power saving mode. It no longer gets hot. Not one "technical support" person (even second level) at Verizon or Samsung made that suggestion. Also, the blurring I complained about is a Firefox issue, not the phone.
    Beer Goggles likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links