Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Samsung S4 - First time charge?

  1. #1
    Junior Member Hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5
    Member #
    2112
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Samsung S4 - First time charge?

    Hi,

    I've received a brand new S4, it came with half battery life. However, I used up the battery till 2%. How long do I need to charge the battery for? It's a fresh S4. I want a strong battery life.

    Thanks,

    Hitman
    Last edited by Hitman; 07-01-2013 at 01:03 PM.

  2.  

  3. #2
    Super Moderator jntdroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    289
    Member #
    51
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    171 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well for me it typically charges up full in about an hour and a half, and that's normally from about 30% or so. So maybe 2 hours will get you full, or almost?

    Welcome to the forum!
    "... life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

    Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
    Please include your carrier and/or model with any questions.
    Verizon SCH-I545

  4. #3
    Junior Member Hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5
    Member #
    2112
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks boss, don't I have to charge it overnight since its brand new?

  5. #4
    Super Moderator jntdroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    289
    Member #
    51
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    171 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Thanks boss, don't I have to charge it overnight since its brand new?
    Not really. With the OEM charger, it charges really fast... so after 2 hours it'll be fully charged, then it will automatically stop charging even if it's still connected. At some point (maybe around 90%? just guessing...) it'll start charging again - so I don't know if there's any benefit to having it on there all night as it will simply keep redoing that cycle. Some people swear by conditioning it, and doing things like letting it go until it dies, then charging it until it's full once a month. But I stopped worrying about all that - and maybe I'm wrong - the amount of time I spent worrying about it made very little difference IMHO. And even if it shortens the total lifespan of the battery, well you can easily buy a new one online for pretty cheap to replace it!
    Jetmech and Hitman like this.
    "... life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

    Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
    Please include your carrier and/or model with any questions.
    Verizon SCH-I545

  6. #5
    Junior Member Hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5
    Member #
    2112
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Not really. With the OEM charger, it charges really fast... so after 2 hours it'll be fully charged, then it will automatically stop charging even if it's still connected. At some point (maybe around 90%? just guessing...) it'll start charging again - so I don't know if there's any benefit to having it on there all night as it will simply keep redoing that cycle. Some people swear by conditioning it, and doing things like letting it go until it dies, then charging it until it's full once a month. But I stopped worrying about all that - and maybe I'm wrong - the amount of time I spent worrying about it made very little difference IMHO. And even if it shortens the total lifespan of the battery, well you can easily buy a new one online for pretty cheap to replace it!
    Nice, you helped. How much is it for a new battery? I was thinking the exact same, I've never had a S4 or samsung so I was just double checking. Don't want my battery trashed. Mine's the travel charger, not sure if that's the orginal.

  7. #6
    Super Moderator Jetmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tampa, not the one in Kansas.
    Posts
    1,165
    Member #
    144
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    476 times
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    The only thing I suggest is running it through 2 or 3 charge cycles. Fully charge it, let it drain to 10 percent or so, then back up. Dont let it completely drain is my opinion. This has less to do with the health of the battery, its actually about how Android figures out how much battery you've got left.
    Hitman and macuser like this.

  8. #7
    Junior Member Hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5
    Member #
    2112
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmech View Post
    The only thing I suggest is running it through 2 or 3 charge cycles. Fully charge it, let it drain to 10 percent or so, then back up. Dont let it completely drain is my opinion. This has less to do with the health of the battery, its actually about how Android figures out how much battery you've got left.
    I'll leave it on for 4 hours charge so it's full and use it to 10% then charge. Shall I charge with the phone off or on? Current state, I turned off the phone.

  9. #8
    Administrator wicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    834
    Member #
    4
    Twitter
    wwickedd
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    764 times
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    @Hitman, you can charge it while it's on. No need to turn it off.
    Hitman likes this.

  10. #9
    Super Moderator Jetmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tampa, not the one in Kansas.
    Posts
    1,165
    Member #
    144
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    476 times
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Yup. The key is just using it like normal to calibrate the system. Just my personal preference.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Beer Goggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    868
    Member #
    514
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    275 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    That old "conditioning" thing was based on older battery technologies. But that info is still on the interwebs and people read it as if it's still current.
    Hitman likes this.
    S4 SGH-I337, 32 GB, Black, AT&T, 64 GB SD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Check Hot Spot on time
    By Leo G in forum Galaxy S4 Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 09:58 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2013, 03:45 PM
  3. Full charge notification
    By vaguy50 in forum Galaxy S4 General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-08-2013, 12:23 PM
  4. Over-Night Full charge
    By Lex in forum Galaxy S4 Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-30-2013, 06:19 PM
  5. [Follow-Up] Samsung Galaxy S4 Active on Video This Time
    By dgstorm in forum Galaxy S4 News & Site News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Search tags for this page

first charge galaxy s4
,
galaxy s4 charging time
,

galaxy s4 first charge

,
how long should i charge my galaxy s4 for the first time
,

how long to charge samsung galaxy s4 first time

,

initial charging for samsung s4

,
s4 first charge
,
samsung galaxy s4 charging time
,

samsung galaxy s4 first charge

,

samsung s4 first charge

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.