Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

S4 Freezes on occasion

I have owned my S4 for about 4 weeks. I had had no problems until a week ago when my phone froze twice in a period of one hour and last night when it froze once. In all three cases, the phone was either fully charged or mostly charged. On one occasion, it was being recharged (but still was mostly charged before plugging in the recharger). The symptom was that the phone was totally non-responsive. The solution was to pull out and reinsert the battery. The phone is not rooted. I do remember seeing a message a couple of weeks or so back stating that my phone's op sys or some such subset was going to be updated. I did not pay attention to the details (my mistake) but just gave it the go-ahead. The phone is a SCH-I545 on Android 4.2.2. Kernel version is 3.4.0-690088 updated on June 13.

Obviously, the first suspect would be an app that I installed. Most (all?) of the apps I have installed in the last month are fairly benign. I cannot recall anything specifically that I recently installed (especially in the last week and a half) that would make me suspicous but I'm well aware that that doesn't prove anything. I did note the forum message on how to put the phone into safe mode but I am hesitant to do that as I really use my installed apps. Plus the problem isn't happening with very frequent regularity. Does anyone have a list of "suspicous" apps that other people have tried to track down? I didn't see anything about frozen S4s on the forum. One last comment: the problem occurred last night (Saturday) and the previous Saturday night, as I was about to go to bed. I may or may not have tried to set my phone alarm clock (I use the downloaded "Alarm Clock Plus" which I have used for years with my previous Android phone, a Droid X). I honestly cannot recall.

One other possible source of the problem is that it might be a hardware problem with the phone itself. Again, this is hard to prove when it doesn't happen with great regularity. Has anyone seen any such issues?

Suggestions and comments would be welcome.

Thanks,
    Joe

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1260 times
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I don't think anyone has a list of suspicious apps but if an app is trying really hard to access the Internet it could stall the phone. Just to try eliminating that as being a problem check my WiFi link below to see if it any of the suggestions makes a difference.

There are a few other things that could cause that but you might need to track down what you were doing or what was going on next time it happens. Otherwise you might try a factory reset if all else fails.
    SGS3 SGH-i747 / SGS4 (32GB) SGH-i337 on AT&T - and LG Optimus G Pro

Printing and file transfer tips
    WiFi connection tips. (modified 7/26/13)
    Current Adobe Flash Player for the S4 - direct download 11.1.115.81 2/10/14

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for your response. Based on your comments (and link), I did remember that I had installed (actually copied across from my old Droid X) a datacomm app called "Easy Tether". I wasn't using it on my S4 but it was installed. I just uninstalled it. My hang happened again this afternoon. I wasn't running anything. I just wanted to see what time it was and noticed the phone was dead.

Since you mentioned that wifi issues might be related, it occurred to me that my network is a bit weird. I'm currently in the mountains of Maine where I have no cell phone access. So for cell connectivity, I'm using something from Verizon called a Network Extender. Generically, it's called a microcell or a femtocell. Essentially, it's a box that looks like a wireless router (with antenna) that connects to my home network and acts as a cell tower (and uses my DSL internet connection for communication). In theory, it's totally transparent to the cell phone. With my older Droid X, it was transparent but I noticed that with the S4, when you wake it up, right under where it says "Swipe screen to unlock", instead of saying Verizon Wireless, it says "Network Extender". So this phone has some knowledge of the device it's connected to. On the positive side, I've had no phone issues, hiccups or any problems with the phone but for completeness in trying to understand what might be happening, I thought I should mention my setup.

I almost wish the phone would freeze every 1/2 hour or so. Then I would be able to try and debug the problem. Most frustrating.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1260 times
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    You may have identified the problem. Just because you don't appear to be doing anything doesn't mean the phone isn't. You would need to disable ALL syncing both for the account and for all the apps. That could tell you the problem is that cell - or not.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I thought I would share the conclusion to this story...

I knew I would end up having to re-init my phone as there is no way I could determine if the problem was software or hardware related without removing all my apps. So I did that. (Fortunately, I have an android tablet which I used with many of those same apps that I have on my S4.) A day later the phone froze on me twice. I called Verizon and they just sent me a new phone. Clearly, I had a hardware problem. End of story (I hope!!!).

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1260 times
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for reporting back..

Links