Close
    Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Angry Person on the other end can't hear me during normal phone calls

Like many others here, I was an iPhone user from the first version until the iPhone 4. My first Android was a HTC One X which I LOVED... when it worked that is. After many trials and tribulations due to I guess the One X being crap (2 refurb replacements that both failed), AT&T ended up allowing me to do a VERY early upgrade and thus I end up with my Galaxy S4.

I love this phone. I consider myself a bit of a power-user (hence my dumping of the iPhone) and love all it's customization. I hope maybe it's that "flexibility" that is causing my issue(s) and it's easily fixed.

What's happening is that when I make or receive normal phone calls, often the person on the other end can't hear me. It doesn't seem to matter if I am using the built in mic or Bluetooth. Switching to speaker does seem to fix it most of the time but I have to say, it's maddening to have to sound like a Verizon commercial every time I call someone "Can you hear me now..."

This is an intermittent problem and so far as I can tell, the type of phone on the other end doesn't matter. It's happening with my mom's android phone and my wife's iPhone. I would say it happens on 75% of my calls though once the call is disconnected and reconnected, it almost always works at that point. It also doesn't seem to matter if I place to call or it's incoming.

Please help. As I said, I love this phone for all reasons that are not related to phone calls but this one issue is kinda ruining my experience.

Thanks,
    Robert

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    44 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    A couple settings that could be involved are:
    Settings>My Device>Call
    -Noise Reduction
    -Voice Privacy

These are designed to filter out some sounds, and could filter out sounds you want left in...

In my experience, FWIW, Noise Reduction works well, though, correctly filtering out background noise, and keeping my voice.
    -Rich
    An engineer thinks the glass is twice as big as you needed
    Galaxy S4 (Hyperdrive) - Nexus 7 (CleanROM) - Droid Charge (Tweaked ROM, Lazarus kernel)
    '01 Suzuki Intruder 800

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks. I checked those settings. Actually Noise Reduction was something I first suspected as a possible culprit and I disabled it. I can't seem to find Voice Privacy. I see where it should be, or was on other devices but it doesn't seem to be there on the S4.

To add to my OP, even when the person on the other end of the call can hear me, they often claim I sound very muffled or far away. I also should have mentioned that this S4 is new and was purchased about 2 weeks ago.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am having the same issue. I bought my phone a few days ago and 9 times out of 10, the caller can hear me (sometimes) answer but then I can hear them and they can no longer hear me. I have to hang up so they can call me back. This is very frustrating. I've turned off just about everything I can think of and it is still happening.

For me too, the only patch I've come up with is to keep the speaker on during calls. Not a good option in public.

I am hoping someone will read this thread and provide an answer that works!

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    555 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Have you tried a factory reset?
    If this has been happening since new, have you contacted the seller for an exchange? It might be defective.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was having the same problem.
    I have an S4 with an Atlas waterproof case.
    As it turns out, Samsung decided that it would be a great idea to put the upper microphone right next to the headphone jack, so the waterproof cover has to cover the microphone. This causes two problems: First, the cover can't really be made permeable enough for background noise to reach the mic, so background noise increases, and Second, my voice would resonate through the case and be cancelled out by the noise cancelling feature.
    Turning off noise cancelling worked in one sense; People could hear me again, but the super-sensitive mic now picked up all of the noise from handling the case.

The best solution in my case (no pun intended) is to use noise cancelling and open the upper port when taking a call. That lets background noise in to the microphone and keeps the case from acting as an echo chamber.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I found the solution to this problem

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    I was having the same problem.
    I have an S4 with an Atlas waterproof case.
    As it turns out, Samsung decided that it would be a great idea to put the upper microphone right next to the headphone jack, so the waterproof cover has to cover the microphone. This causes two problems: First, the cover can't really be made permeable enough for background noise to reach the mic, so background noise increases, and Second, my voice would resonate through the case and be cancelled out by the noise cancelling feature.
    Turning off noise cancelling worked in one sense; People could hear me again, but the super-sensitive mic now picked up all of the noise from handling the case.

The best solution in my case (no pun intended) is to use noise cancelling and open the upper port when taking a call. That lets background noise in to the microphone and keeps the case from acting as an echo chamber.
    I was experienceing the same problem for several weeks, and I finally found the solution. You need to be very careful. I took a need and clean out the speaker on the bottom of the phone, and that corrected the problem.

Member #
    Device
    other
    Liked
    892 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Try using a toothpick - you're less likely to damage the phone with that.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.1.0 Rom

Gee
    Member #
    Device
    GT-I9500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi i recently bought me a s4 but my phone keeps disconnecting while im on a call...please help.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I realize this thread is somewhat aged but want to provide some input.

I'm having this same issue on the Galaxy S4. I've experimented a little to the point that I found this...

The person I am calling says they can not hear me or I am extremely faint.
    I am always plugged into the charger when this happens.
    If I disconnect the charger the issue goes away immediately. But this leaves my phone draining a slightly charged battery often times.
    So I played with the options a little.
    I found that when it happens I also have WiFi and GPS turned on.
    I had the issue happen again and instead of removing the charger I turned off WiFi & GPS and the issue went away.

There seems to be some hang up with the device when these features are running along with the device charging.

Also, this most frequently happens in my car. It seems like a design issue to me, I'm working through it with Verizon. Will follow up here for others if any progress is made.

Links