Close
    Member #
    Device
    GT-I9500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Not receiving texts from unknown numbers

Hello,
    I am a recent convert from the iphone to the Galaxy s4. I want to love this phone...I really do. But more often than not I want to throw it against a wall. Usually I can figure out something by googling but on this newest issue I'm stuck.

I recently discovered that I am unable to receive texts from numbers that are not in my contacts list. This makes me thinks maybe I can't get calls either? I'm not sure how to un-do this setting, and it's driving me nuts. I'm getting married in a week and need to have full access to my vendors if they need to text and call me from ANY number. To complicate things, I don't seem to have the "Blocking" option in the settings menu that every website and manual is suggesting I use. I even compared with a co-worker who also has an s4 (and has been a great help on a lot of other little issues that pop up) and our menus are a little different. What the heck? Am I somehow in some sort of parallel universe where some menu options are not available to me? Is this like a parental control default that I need to undo somewhere? Yikes! I am seriously missing my iphone and considering trading it back in this weekend.

Has anyone got any ideas? Please help!

Best,
    Holly

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    27 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Could it be that those unknown phone numbers are from iPhone users and your imessage account is getting the messages instead of sending to the correct phone? I found the following in another post here and am pretty sure I have seen a couple of other messages about similar around here.

why do text messages sent from an iphone go to my iphone (currently sitting at home connected to wifi) instead of my s4?
    You need to turn off iMessage on your iPhone. Settings > Messages > on/off. iMessage isn't normal text messaging, it's basically a chat system that uses your data connection and integrates into your normal text messages. If you get a blue message, it's over iMessage. If it's green, it's just a regular text. So unless you disable iMessage, if your iPhone has a data connection, and someone using iMessage sends you a text, it's going to go to your iPhone via iMessage first. Disable iMessage and you should be good to go. It might not hurt to power down the iPhone for a few and let your S4 get a few texts before powering it back on - I've found that whole "system" a bit finicky when you first disable iMessage. Original message link Switched from an iphone to an s4

Here is another link that talks more about iMessage. iphone imessage/text issues

Member #
    Device
    GT-I9500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, Skyfire. I restored my iphone to factory settings and traded it in, but I do have an ipad. I'll try disabling imessage on that too, and resetting my itunes password, as suggested in the link you sent. I'm hopeful!

--Holly

Member #
    Device
    GT-I9500
    Liked
    293 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Welcome to the Forum. Let us know if you got this resolved. You may want to instal Chomp as your SMS client. It does a better job then the stock app.

Member #
    Device
    GT-I9500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Welcome to the Forum. Let us know if you got this resolved. You may want to instal Chomp as your SMS client. It does a better job then the stock app.
    Dang. Still having issues. Disabled imessage on my ipad and I installed Chomp. And now I'm finding out that I seem to be not receiving texts from people who ARE in my contacts list. Highly frustrating. Should I restore to factory settings and start over? Any other ideas? Otherwise, it's time to trade this sucker in...I've never been more frustrated or disappointed in a phone. I so want to love it...but I firstly need it to work correctly.

Links