Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Set default browser.

I recently switched from iPhone to GS4 and am having a little problem with all the setting menus. I inadvertently set Chrome as the default browser and would like to set it back to the default browser that came with the phone. I know it is in some settings menu, but which one? Thanks for your help.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    171 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

Any time you have a few apps that serve the same purpose, and you set one as the default to "always" use, you have to actually go into the app manager settings for that specific app and "clear defaults".

To do so with your specific situation... go to Settings > More > Application Manager > find Chrome > scroll down and select "clear defaults"

Now the next time something tries to open a browser, it should pop up with the choice again. When it does, select "always" after the stock browser, and you'll be all set.
    wicked likes this.
    "... life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
    Please include your carrier and/or model with any questions.
    Verizon SCH-I545

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Any time you have a few apps that serve the same purpose, and you set one as the default to "always" use, you have to actually go into the app manager settings for that specific app and "clear defaults".

To do so with your specific situation... go to Settings > More > Application Manager > find Chrome > scroll down and select "clear defaults"

Now the next time something tries to open a browser, it should pop up with the choice again. When it does, select "always" after the stock browser, and you'll be all set.

Thank you for your reply. That is where I originally thought to look. I saw all of my other apps in Application Manager, but did not see Chrome so I was puzzled. I just discovered it, however. At the top of the page in Application Manager, there is a slide bar that I never noticed before. I slid the bar to the left and found the heading "ALL". I tapped on "ALL" and was able to find Chrome on that list. I cleared defaults and now I am good to go. Thanks again for your help.
    wicked and jntdroid like this.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    306 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you!

Member #
    Device
    other
    Liked
    888 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Welcome to the forum!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.1.0 Rom

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Unhappy Clearing Defaults does not help to set a default.

Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

The above was politely and sincerely entered, I'm sure, but it just doesn't work on my phone. Galaxy S4 Android 4.2.2. I have cleared defaults many times and I have always selected Chrome and have always selected always and have done this easily 100 times and still I see he choice box pop-up several times a day at least. I have tried everything to delete the "Internet" app and of course it can't be done. Maybe if they advertised "A default can't be set" then I would have no complaint but the screen says "Chrome" and "Always" and it just doesn't work that way for me. What is the logic here? Why not just have a default setting in App settings? Who asked for the interruption every single time I go to any webpage? What is the goal here? Is somebody actually making money off of me having to make this choice again and again and again? What is the honest and true answer from real Google staff?

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1216 times
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT803 View Post
    The above was politely and sincerely entered, I'm sure, but it just doesn't work on my phone. Galaxy S4 Android 4.2.2. I have cleared defaults many times and I have always selected Chrome and have always selected always and have done this easily 100 times and still I see he choice box pop-up several times a day at least. I have tried everything to delete the "Internet" app and of course it can't be done. Maybe if they advertised "A default can't be set" then I would have no complaint but the screen says "Chrome" and "Always" and it just doesn't work that way for me. What is the logic here? Why not just have a default setting in App settings? Who asked for the interruption every single time I go to any webpage? What is the goal here? Is somebody actually making money off of me having to make this choice again and again and again? What is the honest and true answer from real Google staff?
    What jntdroid suggested should have been a/the solution. So, you have an option to do a factory reset if nothing else is getting the job done.
    SGS3 SGH-i747 / SGS4 (32GB) SGH-i337 on AT&T - and LG Optimus G Pro

Printing and file transfer tips
    WiFi connection tips. (modified 7/26/13)
    Current Adobe Flash Player for the S4 - direct download 11.1.115.81 2/10/14

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    478 times
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Clear defaults is specific to each app. So when you open a Web page from Tapatalk for example it can have a separate default than opening one through Gmail. Clear defaults for chrome and stock Internet browser, and select one fir default each time it asks then no more worries.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    171 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    @DDT803 is chrome fully up to date? If not, make sure to update it.

Also try this... First make sure you have no other browsers installed besides chrome and obviously the stock browser. Per the method I mentioned above, force stop and clear defaults AND data in both chrome and the browser (if any of them are greyed out then just move on). Then power down the phone. Then boot into recovery by holding volume-up+ home+ power. Once in recovery, use the volume rocker to scroll down and choose "wipe cache" (only cache!).

Then reboot and see if that fixes it. Not sure if it will, but that will get you as fresh a start as possible without doing a factory reset.
    Last edited by jntdroid; 06-03-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    "... life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
    Please include your carrier and/or model with any questions.
    Verizon SCH-I545

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    5 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You can give "Default App Manager" a try. It is a nice app for seeing what all your defaults are and setting them.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pmanager&hl=en
    Leeshor likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links