• 1 Post By Danvee

Thread: Screen dead due to water damage, please help

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Screen dead due to water damage, please help

First, I apologize if this issue has been addressed before. I dropped my phone in the toilet (don't ask, please) and while it had an otter box on it (the one that even has a screen cover) it still suffered water damage because the phone will power on but the screen will not work. It's completely black. So, i'm flipping out because my phone is my primary source of communication and entertainment (sad, i know) I have it plugged into the computer. It only lets me access the internal memory, not the SD card. I tried looking through the folders but saw nothing that would suggest it was a file for the contacts? Which is mainly what i was trying to access right now. Is there any other way to access my contacts? I know this phone (or was it the s3?) used to have Kies come on it but not anymore and i'm currently kicking my own ass for not putting it back. Anyhelp would be appreciated. And once again, sorry if this has been addressed. Thanks!

-Amanda

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    127 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2d_qt View Post
    First, I apologize if this issue has been addressed before. I dropped my phone in the toilet (don't ask, please) and while it had an otter box on it (the one that even has a screen cover) it still suffered water damage because the phone will power on but the screen will not work. It's completely black. So, i'm flipping out because my phone is my primary source of communication and entertainment (sad, i know) I have it plugged into the computer. It only lets me access the internal memory, not the SD card. I tried looking through the folders but saw nothing that would suggest it was a file for the contacts? Which is mainly what i was trying to access right now. Is there any other way to access my contacts? I know this phone (or was it the s3?) used to have Kies come on it but not anymore and i'm currently kicking my own ass for not putting it back. Anyhelp would be appreciated. And once again, sorry if this has been addressed. Thanks!

-Amanda
    Hey, Amanda, sorry about the plunge! I'm not positive, but I believe your contacts should be in the cloud, via Google, and should be accessible. How long ago did this happen? The usual advice for this kind of occurrence is to open it up, dry it off, and imbed in either rice or that silicon gel stuff. Also, I wonder if your SD card could be ruined, have you tried substituting another one?
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (from the S4); Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    577 times
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Yep.
    Disassemble and dry via forced cool air as much as possible, then put everything in a sealed bag full of silica gel or rice.
    Change desiccant daily, leaving phone in the bag for at least 3 days - longer if possible. Do not under any circumstances power it up.
    (you've already done that, so any damage done can't be undone, but it won't get worse.)
    You'll need to get a new battery at the very least, as the moisture indicators should be showing pink.
    If you're incredibly lucky, it may work again. Otherwise, you might see if you can get an early upgrade from your carrier. The cost of repair may well exceed the cost of a new phone.

Contacts stored in the cloud are still there, contacts on the SIM (if your phone has one) should still be there.
    Remove the SD card and place in an external USB reader to see if you can recover it's contents to your PC.

This is exactly why I'm a proponent of drop-and-spill warranties for these very expensive, very Hi tech, very portable, very delicate devices.
    cr6 likes this.

Member #
    Device
    GT-I9500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had this same problem with my phone and placed completely submerged in rice for 3 days and nothing happened.

What I did was simply follow the directions from Meetparikh9 on this website: Samsung Support Can't fix my phone due to corrosion/water damage - Samsung Galaxy S4 - iFixit

Basically, just open up the phone (take out all screws) and take off the electronic components.

Clean all respective parts with 91% isopropyl alcohol, allow to air dry for a couple of minutes and put all pieces back into their places then put battery in and test out. If it doesn't work initially, continue to brush and place some pressure in areas and eventually the screen should show up.

NOTE: My water indicators on my phone (both on the battery and on the back of the phone) were completely dry however the one that is on the back casing of the phone right behind the camera lens was completely pink.

Hope this helps you or anyone else who visits this thread because it is because of you all and everyone else on the internet that my phone has been revived.... So I wanted to return the favor! Best of luck to you all!
    Last edited by Danvee; 06-01-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sousa View Post
    I had this same problem with my phone and placed completely submerged in rice for 3 days and nothing happened.

What I did was simply follow the directions from Meetparikh9 on this website: Samsung Support Can't fix my phone due to corrosion/water damage - Samsung Galaxy S4 - iFixit

Basically, just open up the phone (take out all screws) and take off the electronic components.

Clean all respective parts with 91% isopropyl alcohol, allow to air dry for a couple of minutes and put all pieces back into their places then put battery in and test out. If it doesn't work initially, continue to brush and place some pressure in areas and eventually the screen should show up.

NOTE: My water indicators on my phone (both on the battery and on the back of the phone) were completely dry however the one that is on the back casing of the phone right behind the camera lens was completely pink.

Hope this helps you or anyone else who visits this thread because it is because of you all and everyone else on the internet that my phone has been revived.... So I wanted to return the favor! Best of luck to you all!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess my post didn't take, so I will repost. I too used the tutorial to try to see if this would help get my cell phone out of black screen. Originally, I had my cell phone in my pocket while shoveling snow, and it began to rain and when I was walking inside, I reached into my pocket, and saw the phone was wet, and the screen was frozen. I walked inside, and tried to clean off the outside, and tried to reboot the phone, and it had squiggly green lines, so I took the Otter box off, the battery out, and casing.

I put the phone in a bag a rice for a few hours, and tried again, and the screen was black. I put the cell phone back into the bag for 3 days. I took it out, used the tutorial as a guide, and used 91 percent alcohol to clean the phone, and put it back together. It restarts like it did before, the phone buzzes, and boots up with a black screen. I can hear the sounds of received text messages, and the volume button and the boot up sound comes on. I tried the Samsung Smart Switch kies (this is normally used to backup files on the cell phone, but I had already copied them to my computer through the USB) just to see if that would kick start anything and nothing changes.

I know the battery is fine because my husband has the same phone and it works in his cell phone. I called a repair place, and it's 29.99 just to look at it. I was told either the screen would need replaced or it's the motherboard. $149.00 just for a new screen. I do not want to give up just yet. I tried to do a soft reboot, and a hard reboot. Is there anything else I can try?

***UPDATE*** After about an hour, I was just fiddling with the power key and swiped the screen, and saw the wallpaper! The screen is now functioning, but there is slight pixeling, and the top row of icons aren't working, and the pull down to get to settings isn't either, but I can always go to the settings icon for that. Holy crap! I didn't think this would work but it did! I am not an expert, though I did build computers from bare bones in the past, but boy, the inside of a cell phone is soooo tiny!

I was worried I wouldn't be able to reset properly. Getting out the tiny screws wasn't fun either, but I am thrilled! Thank you for posting the tutorial!!! Rice alone does not work, soft or hard reboot doesn't work, but cleaning the inside DOES, even if you do not see corrosion. (I did not, but the inside panel near the motherboard had the water mark in pink, so water definitely got in there) Clean inside anyway with alcohol. Make sure it is at LEAST 91 percent. I could not find 99 percent.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung...lacement/16537
    Last edited by Golfergurl; 03-17-2017 at 12:05 AM.

Remove Ads

Links