Like Tree8Likes

Thread: S4: Cannot copy files from PC to S4 by USB

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

S4: Cannot copy files from PC to S4 by USB

I cannot believe this. I've seen about 100 posts on the web with this problem and NO solutions.
    All I want to do is to copy an application file from a CD to my S4.
    So far I have two laptops and a USB hub that I can't get ANY sort of USb connection with.
    I have the S4 now plugged into the front USB port of my desktop machine, and at last I can get a connection.
    The phone has Android 4.4.2 which was automatically loaded the other day.
    I have Kies 3 and it does connect to the S4.
    It only gives me the option of copying media file, or synching with the likes of Outlook.
    I can see the phone as an external drive to my PC, can open all the folders, but whenever I try to copy anything I just get the message (eventually) that the device has stopped responding or has been disconnected --- Which it hasn't.
    I have the USB debug on, I have it set not to turn off when on charge, and to allow installations from non playstore locations. I don't have a SD card installed, and do have over 8 gb of space.

I am slowly going mad here: Two different laptops won't connect at all. The desktop will not connect via a USB hub.
    So how DO I get this file from my PC to my S4?? - It is an .apk file.
    When I navigate round Kies, it does not see the .apk file, because it isn't a media file.

So PLEASE someone, give me a step by step on what to do: I've been struggling with this for a week now.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    577 times
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    You could always email it to yourself, use a site like Dropbox, Box.net, Copy.com or Google Drive to store it from your PC, later downloading to your phone.
    Could also copy it to a borrowed microSD card via USB card reader then insert the card into the phone. (they're dirt cheap now, anyway, and you really should have one or 2 handy).
    Efin and Rosalie like this.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    190 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Danvee has the perfect solution, email or copy onto another microSD, they're a few bucks for a 2-4gb, you're going to need a file manager app such as ES File Explorer to direct the .apk to its destination and to open it. Also be sure to have a virus app to verify the file is clean before loading it as well.
    Danvee and Rosalie like this.
    From my Efin SM G900V

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danvee View Post
    You could always email it to yourself, use a site like Dropbox, Box.net, Copy.com or Google Drive to store it from your PC, later downloading to your phone.
    Could also copy it to a borrowed microSD card via USB card reader then insert the card into the phone. (they're dirt cheap now, anyway, and you really should have one or 2 handy).
    An excellent couple of suggestions as work rounds. Thanks I will definitely look into those.
    It seems such a shame that Samsung make an excellent phone and then are incapable of producing a USB driver that works.

Next question: Any idea where I should copy the file TO on the S4? - I have been trying to send it to Downloads.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    577 times
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmhcaspian View Post
    Any idea where I should copy the file TO on the S4? - I have been trying to send it to Downloads.
    That would be a start.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1411 times
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmhcaspian View Post
    An excellent couple of suggestions as work rounds. Thanks I will definitely look into those.
    It seems such a shame that Samsung make an excellent phone and then are incapable of producing a USB driver that works.

Next question: Any idea where I should copy the file TO on the S4? - I have been trying to send it to Downloads.
    Just an fyi that the problem isn't likely to have anything to do with Samsung, or your phone. This is a fairly common problem with many phones and tablets alike and is usually related to something running or corrupt on the computer. The issue is finding what that problem is and some people have spent a long time trying to find the reason without success. Take the path of least resistance. Using AirDroid keeps me from having to connect my S4 to my computer, even though mine does.
    Danvee and Rosalie like this.
    Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 - SGH-i337 on AT&T - and LG G4

Printing and file transfer tips
    WiFi connection tips. (modified 7/26/13)
    Current versions of Android don't support Flash player, try Puffin or Flashfox as an alternative browser.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    165 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Can this not be done with Samsung LinkUp? I have that as a factory app on mine (AT&T) and it works perfectly for transferring photos, videos, music, documents and files. If you install LinkUp on the PC as well, it makes it much easier than searching for stuff with the phone. Or are you trying to transfer things that don't fall into the above categories? Excuse me for some ignorance, as I am an old geezer and a smartphone newbie.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonhiker View Post
    Can this not be done with Samsung LinkUp? I have that as a factory app on mine (AT&T) and it works perfectly for transferring photos, videos, music, documents and files. If you install LinkUp on the PC as well, it makes it much easier than searching for stuff with the phone. Or are you trying to transfer things that don't fall into the above categories? Excuse me for some ignorance, as I am an old geezer and a smartphone newbie.
    I too am an old geezer smartphone newbie: Hence the possibly daft questions, and the quaint idea that the thing should actually work.
    I'll investigate Samsung link up and several others. - It is perhaps possible that Kies will indeed copy media OK: Maybe I'll try that at the weekend, when I get to the one machine in the universe that actually recognises the S4 at all.
    In the meantime, I can at least charge the phone for USB, and I found that I can install directly from dropbox.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshor View Post
    Just an fyi that the problem isn't likely to have anything to do with Samsung, or your phone. This is a fairly common problem with many phones and tablets alike and is usually related to something running or corrupt on the computer. The issue is finding what that problem is and some people have spent a long time trying to find the reason without success. Take the path of least resistance. Using AirDroid keeps me from having to connect my S4 to my computer, even though mine does.
    That does seem odd to me. I am using the Samsung USb driver, the Samsung Kies product, and it fails to connect at all on three out of four different configurations.
    Everything else works just fine and just the same on all four configurations.
    The only common denominators on all four are the S4 itself, and the Samsung products. (Kies and the driver)

And since so many people are having the problem, I'd have thought that Samsung might at least be working on a solution.

Senior Member lucianus_luciferus's Avatar
    Member #
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Liked
    178 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    the thing is people don't really use kies except maybe for software updates
    Canyonhiker likes this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    --- Galaxy S6 SM-G920 Black 5.1.1