• 1 Post By Leeshor

Thread: new user/old 64GB SD problem

Member #
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy new user/old 64GB SD problem

Hi folks thanks for providing the forum. After MUCH deliberation, a week ago I bought an S4 to replace my ageing HTC. Without boring everybody to death, I fairly quickly discovered the 64GB SD card problem. As I have more than 32GB of music, and a lot of photos, am I correct in believing that I have two options, really:

1. Split my data over 2 x 32GB cards, and carry one around in my pocket for when I want to listen to that music
    2. Get rid of the phone

Seems really sad I REALLY like the phone apart from this, but for me this bug or whatever it is makes it unusable.

Thanks

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1411 times
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Welcome to the forum

Yes, you have ruin into a problem well known to this forum. Most 64GB cards do not work in the S4. It was a bug from the start that Samsung never acknowledged. I would select option #1 as the phone is a great phone otherwise. You could also store all that music on Google Music, in the cloud, for free.
    Hogweed likes this.
    Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 - SGH-i337 on AT&T - and LG G4

Printing and file transfer tips
    WiFi connection tips. (modified 7/26/13)
    Current versions of Android don't support Flash player, try Puffin or Flashfox as an alternative browser.

Member #
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshor View Post
    Welcome to the forum

Yes, you have ruin into a problem well known to this forum. Most 64GB cards do not work in the S4. It was a bug from the start that Samsung never acknowledged. I would select option #1 as the phone is a great phone otherwise. You could also store all that music on Google Music, in the cloud, for free.
    Thanks, yes, I see the forum comments. I looked in my S4 manual, which says “Your device accepts memory cards with maximum capacities of 64 GB”, bought a card and thought no more about it…

Interesting what you say about Google Music… I haven't looked into that at all, I must admit, but wouldn't that depend on me having a good internet connection when listening? I live in the countryside, and don’t always. Also my package has fairly low monthly data limits, as I don’t use that much.

PS sent photos of both cards to their manufacturers, and both confirmed counterfeit. But I guess a genuine card wouldn't work any better...

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1411 times
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    That's correct, the real thing probably still wouldn't work. The idea behind Google Music may be to pin locally while on WiFi any of the music you wanted to listen to while not on the data. It's a good place to store all your music. For free you can store something in excess of 50,000 individual files.

Current versions of Android don't support Flash player, try Puffin or Flashfox as an alternative browser.

Member #
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshor View Post
    That's correct, the real thing probably still wouldn't work. The idea behind Google Music may be to pin locally while on WiFi any of the music you wanted to listen to while not on the data. It's a good place to store all your music. For free you can store something in excess of 50,000 individual files.
    Thanks for our help, much appreciated. I don't think the cloud idea would work for me - I like to just browse my list spontaneously and play something. To be honest, I'm so annoyed about this that I'm going to try and get a refund on the phone - I think it's totally unacceptable that something as basic as this doesn't work on a fairly expensive phone.

Best wishes

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You could get one of these and just plug it into your phone's usb port when you want to browse and listen: (there's a 16/32/64 gig model)

Amazon.com: Kingston Digital 32GB Data Traveler Micro Duo USB 3.0 Micro USB OTG (DTDUO3/32GB): Computers & Accessories

Member #
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abcomputin View Post
    You could get one of these and just plug it into your phone's usb port when you want to browse and listen: (there's a 16/32/64 gig model)

Amazon.com: Kingston Digital 32GB Data Traveler Micro Duo USB 3.0 Micro USB OTG (DTDUO3/32GB): Computers & Accessories
    Thanks, but no guarantee the S4 would work with that either.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1411 times
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogweed View Post
    Thanks, but no guarantee the S4 would work with that either.
    That is a type of solution that has worked fine for some. It isn't treated the same as the microSD slot. But it's cumbersome.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know the S4 works with the 32 gig model. Plug it in and it's like a usb harddrive just got attached. Haven't tried the 64 gig, but it's only $24, so if it doesn't work for you, you still have a usb3 64 gig thumbdrive you can use on your pc or laptop. And it isn't counterfeit.

Remove Ads

Links