Close
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leeshor

Thread: All incoming phone calls show a "+" preventing me from simply calling back

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All incoming phone calls show a "+" preventing me from simply calling back

I just left my iphone for a Galaxy S4 but I'm starting to have problems. I like this phone much more than the iphone but all of my incoming calls now show a "+" at the beginning. I know what the "+" is for but the fact that it actually appears on caller ID from a local number is creating a "call back" problem. A little history on the phone, I got this phone used from a family member because they were switching, so it's not brand new. Let me also add that it is a Verizon phone that I'm using on AT&T. I doubt that I have forgotten to set something up correctly because I've been using this for a few months and this problem just started. I've searched the internet and found several posts for older Galaxy phones with the same issue but not with the S4 so I've just about given up.

I've gone into the Country Settings, changed and even deleted the information but when I call from a different phone I still get the same results. If you are not clear on what I get when I say a "+", rather than the number showing as (626) 555-1212 it shows as +62 655-51212. It's hard to believe nobody else has asked about this but I've had no luck finding a solution.

Any help you can provide would be great appreciated

Thanks

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1411 times
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Welcome to the forum

Your model. i545, as far as I know, shouldn't be able to work on AT&T at all. The 2 AT&T and Verizon phones work on different bands. (I may be wrong but I don't think so). Did you get a SIM card from AT&T?
    cr6 likes this.
    Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 - SGH-i337 on AT&T - and LG G4

Printing and file transfer tips
    WiFi connection tips. (modified 7/26/13)
    Current versions of Android don't support Flash player, try Puffin or Flashfox as an alternative browser.

cr6
    Member #
    Device
    other
    Liked
    504 times
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Welcome to the forum! Leeshor is correct. You can't use a device that's specifically made for VerIzon, on AT&T. (and visa versa) Your Verizon device works on a CDMA based network, meaning it has completely different hardware which allows you to make & receive phone calls, text messages and use the internet. AT&T has GSM radios, which won't allow you to connect on Verizons cellular network.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshor View Post
    Welcome to the forum

Your model. i545, as far as I know, shouldn't be able to work on AT&T at all. The 2 AT&T and Verizon phones work on different bands. (I may be wrong but I don't think so). Did you get a SIM card from AT&T?
    Yes, it's the i545 and yes it has been works just fine on AT&T with the exception of the "+" in the caller ID of all calls coming in I was told I wont get true 4G speed being that Verizon and AT&T work differently but it's better than what I was getting on my previous phone. I do need to say that rather than it saying 4G up at the top it says H+ (maybe LTE sometime, I haven't been paying that much attention) and I've been using it day in and day out. Here's the kicker though and may be the end of my phone adventure. I say it HAS been just fine because I went out of town over the weekend and now it says 4G at the top. I thought how cool was that... until I tried to TEXT. I can receive texts but cannot send texts when it says 4G at the top. If anyone knows how to prevent this phone from using 4G I'd love to know. Sure, I can buy a new phone but what fun would that be.

thanks

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cr6 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Leeshor is correct. You can't use a device that's specifically made for VerIzon, on AT&T. (and visa versa) Your Verizon device works on a CDMA based network, meaning it has completely different hardware which allows you to make & receive phone calls, text messages and use the internet. AT&T has GSM radios, which won't allow you to connect on Verizons cellular network.
    What I ended up doing was use my AT&T Sim card from my previous phone since I am on AT&T and updating the APN settings to AT&T's settings. Worked like a charm but as you can see in my post to Leeshor, my phone is failing one feature at a time. What I can't figure out is how it worked so well for the past few months then start failing. I would have thought if it was going to fail it would have been on start-up.

Thanks

cr6
    Member #
    Device
    other
    Liked
    504 times
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Are you using your device over WiFi only? Or at least the majority of the time?

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cr6 View Post
    Are you using your device over WiFi only? Or at least the majority of the time?
    I would say more than 50% of the time it is on Wifi but it works the same either way. It's on wifi now and I can go on line but having texting issues. I can shut the wifi off and nothing changes.

I've had the phone turned off for a week and today when I rebooted it I got either an "E", "H" or "H+" at the top (it changes back and forth) and my texts seemed to work. however that was short lived. The 4G has reappeared and it's back to not working again. I've been messing around with the APN settings, looking to see if there is an APN setting that does not give me the 4G icon at the top but cant seem to find one. What baffles me is how it was working for for nearly a month and now i'm unable to text. I was under the impression with these electronics is either you have the right setting and it works, or you don't have the right setting and it doesn't. Not, that you have the right setting and it works, but then stops working even though the settings haven't changed.
    Last edited by Potastew; 04-10-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Senior Member lucianus_luciferus's Avatar
    Member #
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Liked
    178 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    go to settings, connections, more networks, mobile networks and tell us what you have under network mode
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    --- Galaxy S6 SM-G920 Black 5.1.1
    Galaxy S4 I9505 Black Rooted 4.4.2
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Remove Ads

Links