Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NFC Payments with Galaxy S4

First post for me. Just switched from iPhone 4 to Galaxy S4 last week and loving the S4.

I had a question on using NFC for payments. Is this possible today with the Galaxy S4? I've combed through the phone and other than enabling and disabling the NFC signal, I have not found any other apps or areas on the phone to configure anything else NFC related. I did a bunch of Google searches, and saw many articles saying that Visa payWave is actually integrated into the phone, but again, can't find anywhere to setup account information on the phone. I tried downloading Google Wallet, and while it let me download and install, it stated on first use that Google Wallet is not supported on this device. More Google searching has yet to uncover a guide to using the S4 for payments.

Can I walk into a store today and pay for something over NFC with the S4, and if so, how?

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    478 times
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Who's your carrier? Many carriers have blocked google wallet because they have their own payment service, but it's only available in two locales. Pardon my french but it's really a dick move by the carriers.

Super Moderator Quicksilver7714's Avatar
    Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    169 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    If your on Verizon you don't have access to Google wallet and they have yet to implement their ISiS Payment app.
    Respect is #1 on the forum
    S4 Forum Guidelines of Conduct

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    478 times
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Same with AT&T and t mobile I believe. Isis is available in Austin and salt lake city. And that's it. The rest of the country is out of luck.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    AT&T is my carrier. Thanks for the response. Your French seemed just fined to me.
    Last edited by djr5899; 05-29-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there,

Okay so what I have found so far with the S4 and NFC stuff..

1) They are using NTAG203 format only.. So if you buy NFC tags, you can only buy the NTAG203 formatted ones... Which is kind of a bummer, as NTAG203 only stores less then 200 usable Bytes, where as the older MiFare classic type stored more like 700+ Bytes of writable memory... Sure for some things, you may not need more then 150 odd Bytes for some NFC related tasks, but I did want larger text capability.. It is just a silly decision to make.. Can't even use the older tags... =(

2) Earlier this year in the announcing phase, Samsung said they had partnered up with Visa. Basically, they want to be able to use the S4 the same as your debit card/credit card with PayWave. All great for myself and some others, however it seems this move may not be very much in favour of the competition, such as Google Wallet. Of course Wallet not being available in my country (much) yet, it doesn't affect me and PayWave sounds more reasonable.. However.. Cmon Samsung.. Give us both!! (as in... "Should" have given us both NFC203 + MiFare Classic, as well as Google Wallet + PayWave...sigh..)

So basically, they might not allow Google Wallet on the S4 anytime soon, if at all due to this Visa deal.... However, perhaps rooting a phone may solve this problem?

Then again, there hasn't been any talk of this S4 + Visa deal since Feb/Mar.... So who knows if it is even still happening?

Galaxy S4 to come with Visa payments applet ? NFC World

Samsung unveils Galaxy S4 NFC handset / Secure Transactions News / Accueil - SmartInsights

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just upgraded to the S4 from the S3 and now all my Samsung tectiles don't work. I get the message "This Tag is not supported"
    Seems bad that Samsung won't even support their own products. So where do I find tags that work with the S4?

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    510 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Samsung direct, eBay, Amazon...
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link...pf_rd_i=507846

The correct type# is listed in the post above yours.

Member #
    Twitter
    silverfang1977
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was reading about Visa Paywave being preinstalled on the Galaxy S4, but it's not on my phone. I can't find it in the Play Store. Since GW is blocked and I can't flash a custom recovery to my phone because I took the OTA upgrade (stupid move), I was hoping to use this as an alternative. I've combed through Google Play Store and can't seem to find any NFC payment apps that could be used as a substitute for GW or ISIS. Are there any options at all?

Member #
    Device
    other
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You need a NFC compatible SIM to use ISIS. You must get a new one from the AT&T store if you are lucky enough to live near one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links