Close
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: If you are having WiFi problems?

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1266 times
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

If you are having WiFi problems?

What to do if you can't get connected to WIFI or your connections are funky.

There are several things you can do if you can't get a good connection to your WiFi hotpot or router. (some of this advice may help with other WiFi devices as well so other non S4 specific suggestions are included.

1). Some channels work better than others. 1 and 6 are popular and work well for many people. If you can get connected at all, download WiFi Analyzer (here) This app will give you an idea what channels may be available or over lapping with a nearby router.

2). Restart your router. This sounds simple but has been the solution for many people. Routers frequently accumulate garbage in the system that can be dumped by removing the power cord for at least 30 seconds then plugging it back in. After the router has made a connection, restart your phone or go to settings > WiFi, find the connection and a long press will allow you forget the connection, then connected again. You also should check to see if there is a firmware update for the router. That could make all the difference. In a few cases some people just replaced an really old router and ended up really happy they did.

3). As is the case with some other devices, some Android phones & tablets don't do a great job of telling you there is an error when inputting your password or passphrase. If your S4 says it is trying to connect for more than 10-15 seconds you may have mistyped the required information. It's also possible it may just say "saved" and do nothing. Long press the connection and tell it to forget your credentials and try again. If your phone at some point says saved but you are obviously not connected, you may have a poor signal from the router or you are too far away, or there is other interference or it can also happen at times if can't authenticate with the router correctly.

4). I have found that the most Android phones & tablets don't work well or at all with WEP encryption on some routers, though some do work, so your may want to try using WPA/WPA2 or equivalent. This is better security than WEP anyway. If you still can't connect but see a strong signal try no encryption long enough to determine that it is possible to connect and adjust accordingly.

5). In order to narrow the problem down, if all else is failing, try connecting to a public hotspot or a friend's router.

6) If 1-5 don't help, turn your S4 completely off and back on.

There are some things you can do to improve your WiFi. Cordless phones typically operate at 2.4 GHz, so do most of the tablets and some phones. Keep cordless phones as far away as possible from your WiFi router. Same applies to a microwave oven. The especially applies if you have an older G only router.

Note that there have been issues, particularly with some Belkin 615 and 655 routers. If you can't get a reliable connection try changing your security to TKIP.

Additional suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by Leeshor; 07-26-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    SGS3 SGH-i747 / SGS4 (32GB) SGH-i337 on AT&T - and LG Optimus G Pro

Printing and file transfer tips
    WiFi connection tips. (modified 7/26/13)
    Current Adobe Flash Player for the S4 - direct download 11.1.115.81 2/10/14

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    50 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshor View Post

1). Some channels work better than others. 1 and 6 are popular and work well for many people. If you can get connected at all, download WiFi Analyzer (here) This app will give you an idea what channels may be available or over lapping with a nearby router.
    WiFi Analyzer will tell you the best available channel. I would recommend using 5Ghz if you have a dual band router as the spectrum will be cleaner (less interference from other routers).
    Leeshor and UltraDroid like this.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What if my wifi connections work fine, but my device keeps making me reenter the wifi password every time it connects? It's not remembering any of the connections that I make and the passwords that I enter.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1266 times
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pklundgren View Post
    What if my wifi connections work fine, but my device keeps making me reenter the wifi password every time it connects? It's not remembering any of the connections that I make and the passwords that I enter.
    Welcome to the forum

I would try going to a friend's home who is willing to let you access his secured WiFi. That's would eliminate your router, or not. That obviously shouldn't be happening.

You could also delete the connection completely, restart then try connecting again. I would not rule out the WiFi ROUTER even though it seems to be working OK

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My experience is the same no matter where I am at; at home, at work or a friend's place. While other phones/tablets/laptops work fine, the S4 keeps losing connectivity. The status shows 'Connected' but no traffic flows unless I turn off the WiFi connection and turn it back on to reconnect. Verizon tech support directed me to Samsung support. Their chat support was useless, level 1 could not be of much help and now I am on hold (15+ minutes) for the advance support group.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1266 times
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmk9785e View Post
    My experience is the same no matter where I am at; at home, at work or a friend's place. While other phones/tablets/laptops work fine, the S4 keeps losing connectivity. The status shows 'Connected' but no traffic flows unless I turn off the WiFi connection and turn it back on to reconnect. Verizon tech support directed me to Samsung support. Their chat support was useless, level 1 could not be of much help and now I am on hold (15+ minutes) for the advance support group.
    Welcome to the forum
    I think it sounds defective unless you installed any WiFi management or tethering app that may be getting in the way. I hope you get an answer.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you. The only two wireless applications I have installed are Speedtest and WiFi Analyzer. I had to hold for 35 minutes before someone from Samsung Advance support took the call. I had to repeat the same information every time I speak with a Samsung support person even though they have a case open for me. Apparently they don't take notes about the nature of the problem and the steps that have already been taken. They proposed the ridiculous idea of setting a static IP address on my phone (because I can do this at home), not appreciating that every place I go (including businesses) will not provide me the luxury of a static IP address. At the end, he tells me to ship it to them and be without a phone until they can figure out the issue.
    It's amazing how their marketing machine is so much better than their technical support. I will try to return it to Verizon and buy something that works, even if it has to be an iPhone.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1266 times
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I'm sorry to hear that. My guess is that if you got it from a cell provider and you take it back and they can't connect - you should be able get a replacement.
    cr6 likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am having the same issue of my gs4 asking me to re enter the password every time I try to connect to my router. This just started this week. It used to never do this. Has anyone figured this out?

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm having the same issues... The phone will automatically forget my home network. It just did it again today. Each time, I have to re-enter the password. I haven't been able to figure out a pattern. I have an Asus Dual Band Router and it does it with both bands. It also does it at work. It's very frustrating.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links