Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    321 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AT&T's Samsung Galaxy S4 Finally Getting KitKat

AT&T officially confirmed that their Samsung Galaxy S4 will be getting the Android 4.4.2 KitKat rollout forthwith. The update has already started rolling out and will push out in waves OTA. The new version is firmware version KOTH49H.1337UCUFNB1, and the baseband version will be I337UCUFNB1. The update measures in at a hefty 414MB /or 842MB depending on which version of Android you currently have on your handset. Here's a quote with the full details,

Update the Software for the Samsung Galaxy S 4 (i337)
    Update summary

Effective February 26th, 2014, a software update for the Samsung Galaxy S 4 will be available to AT&T customers. This software package updates your phone to Android 4.4, and includes multiple improvements. The update file size varies between 412MB - 842MB depending on your OS version. The update is available to download over Wi-Fi only.

What's changing?

Android 4.4 OS upgrade (Android - 4.4 KitKat)
    Samsung Galaxy Gear compatibility
    Drag and drop to uninstall or disable applications
    Call reliability improvements
    What to expect after the update

Although there should be no impacts to settings or data, we recommend that you back up your media files to an SD card, a PC, or using a favorite application (from the Play Store), prior to upgrading the software. For information on backing up and restoring your phone using Samsung Kies, click here.

How to update

Customers will receive an alert and be prompted to download the update, or have the option to initiate the update manually. When prompted, you can postpone the update up to 3 times, and 4 hours per occurrence. After the update has been postponed for the maximum allowable time, your device will automatically download and install the update.

To initiate the update manually, connect to a Wi-Fi network.
    Drag down the notification bar, and then tap > from the "More" tab, scroll to and tap About device > Software update > Check for updates.
    Tap OK.
    Tap Continue.
    The device will automatically start downloading the software update. Once complete, tap Continue and the device will update and restart.
    Please wait until your phone reboots completely, and an "Update complete" message displays, and then select Done.
    How to verify the update

Drag down the notification bar, and then tap Settings .
    From the "More" tab, tap About device.
    The following information will be displayed:
    Android version: 4.4.2
    Baseband version: I337UCUFNB1
    Build number: KOTH49H.1337UCUFNB1
    Source: AT&T

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    289 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Cool Downloading ..... Installing ......

We'll see what it does.....
    Galaxy Note 4, White, AT&T, 128 GB SD

Member #
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I updated my U. S. Cellular S4 a couple of weeks ago OTA. There were multiple problems. The biggest was the GPS locator kept searching which drained the battery quickly and heated the S4. The techs at USCC did a USB flash for me and everything is okay now. Except for the amount of time it took to reload all the apps after the factory reset. It was a frustrating period.
    Galaxy S4 (SCH-R970) on U. S. Cellular 64 gb SD card

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    289 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Cool

The update went pretty smoothly for me. Here are the notables:
    • First run after update, it optimized 185 apps (that's right). But on my home screen many icons were just the "Android Guy" and tapping said "App not installed" (a little scary). Rebooted and this time it optimized 60 apps (did it miss them the first time?). After that everything seemed fine.
    • There are a couple of new apps: Beats Music (I don't really care), ISIS Wallet (said is need a SIM card with 'secure' feature, I don't really care).
    • The drop down notification list no longer segregates long running message from new stuff. Who's stupid idea was this? Now you have to hunt for message notifications---dumb!
    • The battery indicator is now white instead of green (preferred green). I haven't run it long enough to see what happens when the battery starts getting low, we'll see.

Everything else seems pretty good.... the phone seem to be just touch quicker in some ways.
    Rosalie likes this.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1411 times
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    It's funny how quickly a highly anticipated upgrade/update can get so ho-hum.
    Rosalie likes this.
    Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 - SGH-i337 on AT&T - and LG G4

Printing and file transfer tips
    WiFi connection tips. (modified 7/26/13)
    Current versions of Android don't support Flash player, try Puffin or Flashfox as an alternative browser.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    289 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshor View Post
    It's funny how quickly a highly anticipated upgrade/update can get so ho-hum.
    As I've probably mentioned before (and if not, I'll just repeat myself here), technologies generally have bit of an exponential curve with respect to their continued development. This has been true with just about any technology, but I use examples like: Microsoft Windows OS, Microsoft Office, Linux, Cell phones and Smart Phones.

At first there is plenty of room for new features and improved interfaces, so the changes are many and exciting. After some time, they become quite feature complete and it becomes much more difficult to make signification feature additions and "wow factor" releases. It's just the nature of things.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    289 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    <cut>
    The drop down notification list no longer segregates long running message from new stuff. Who's stupid idea was this? Now you have to hunt for message notifications---dumb!
    <cut>
    Ok, this one is not quite as bad as it seemed at first. It seems that text message notifications appear at the top of the list, which is an improvement as my "static" list of notifications is pretty long and used to have to scroll down to get to text message notifications.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1411 times
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    At first there is plenty of room for new features and improved interfaces, so the changes are many and exciting. After some time, they become quite feature complete and it becomes much more difficult to make signification feature additions and "wow factor" releases. It's just the nature of things
    It is also possible to mess it up badly or make such dramatic changes that some people rebel. Windows ME, Windows Vista, to some extent Windows 8/Office 2013 and the requirement of the MS account are examples, good or bad depending on your viewpoint. Some individual carriers have taken the bloatware to a new extreme but it would seem, at least to this point, that Google has not foisted a Vista on us.
    Rosalie likes this.
    Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 - SGH-i337 on AT&T - and LG G4

Printing and file transfer tips
    WiFi connection tips. (modified 7/26/13)
    Current versions of Android don't support Flash player, try Puffin or Flashfox as an alternative browser.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    289 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshor View Post
    It is also possible to mess it up badly or make such dramatic changes that some people rebel. Windows ME, Windows Vista, to some extent Windows 8/Office 2013 and the requirement of the MS account are examples, good or bad depending on your viewpoint. Some individual carriers have taken the bloatware to a new extreme but it would seem, at least to this point, that Google has not foisted a Vista on us.
    I was talking more about Samsung and peoples complaints about the S4 and S5 and their expecting WAY too much if they think that any of these new phones are going to have a whole bunch of amazing new features at this point in their evolution. At this point in time they are already extremely full featured and powerful leaving much less room for improvement.

I mean really, how many improvements do people think can be added to the S4 (or even the S3 for that matter)?

• Jet rocket booster engines?
    • Telepathic remote control?
    • Interstellar communication?
    Rosalie and Leeshor like this.

Member #
    Device
    other
    Liked
    39 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The place I'd most like to see continued improvement is battery life and performance. Even better, why can't someone come up with devices that don't rely on plugging in to charge up?
    My 'wireless' Qi charger is cool, but it itself has to be plugged in🙅 Extended batteries are nice, I guess, but what would really wow me is a device that could be charged with solar power, or.... IDK... something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Links