Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Cool New to S4 (from years of iPhones): quick initial thoughts

I decided to experiment with Android and the S4 after having iPhones since the day they were released. It's only been a couple of days, but my quick initial impressions:

PROS:
    [1] LOVE the bigger screen. No problem using it onehanded or putting it in my pocket. Apple really needs to revisit their screen size
    [2] LOVE that I can choose my preferred apps for browsing, email, SMS, etc. It's ridiculous that on my Mac and can do this, but on the iPhone I cant.
    [3] Customization possibilities are amazing. (See cons).
    [4] Keyboard and text input is VASTLY superior to the iPhone. Love that you can't choose from a number of different possibilities.

CONS:
    [1] Don't like how notifications are displayed. (I know that Android did this before Apple, but Apple definitely improved on the notification panel, making it visually appealing and organized).
    [2] Miss app badges; the gazillion of teeny, tiny white (and frequently obscure) status bar icons are a mess, all crammed together up there.
    [3] I find almost all the motions and gestures that Samsung hails as making the S4 unique are inconsistently deployed, largely gimmicky, and frequently don't work.
    [4] Too many customization options and inconsistencies. Okay, I LIKE being able to customize things, but I do miss the across app/platform consistency that Apple is known for. Definitely makes for a more predictable experience that doesn't change radically depending on what app you happen to be using.

Anyway, just my 2-day old experiences. I'm sure these will change as I get more experience with Android and the S4.
    lurk182 likes this.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    224 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Welcome aboard! Thanks for the comparison!
    lurk182 likes this.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    469 times
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Welcome! As far as inconsistencies, what exactly are you experiencing?

As far as the gimmicks, I can't argue. Some I don't bother with at all. But once you "get" multi window and air gesture, they are REALLY nice.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    173 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    What's a MAC? : )

As far as having too many gadgets, I'd rather have them and not want them than the other way around. I can always turn off the things I don't want or use.
    @Jetmech Nice new insignia! Congrats!
    Jetmech likes this.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    289 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Regarding CON # 3: How is it a "CON" that the phone has features that you don't like?

I agree that some of the features (like the one that are supposed to "watch your eyes") don't work that great. But really, it's going to watch your eyes. Really Samsung.

But if you just don't use it, then that CON goes away. And if that feature is one of the main reasons that someone gets the S4, well shame on them for being so naive.
    Galaxy Note 4, White, AT&T, 128 GB SD

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    4 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I too just came over from the iPhone 4 and think S4 has many advantages. I find it has better wifi connectivity, better ability to pickup and hold the ATT signal, (iPhone was always losing the signal at my home, S4 has had no issue so far) better camera, the options are easier to access and there are many more of them. IMHO Apple better come out with a big step forward on the next iPhone or it may be history soon. Each to his own I guess!

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I came from an iPhone 4s, previously Android and was always was a Palm fan. Android did what Palm should have to stay alive. As the TV commercial depicts--iPhone is for the older crowd who just needs the basic-no knowledge required-operation. I'm a techno-geek, give me features and function to play with or I'll get bored. Its that simple. Like it turn? turn the feature on. Don't like it? turn it off, or wait for it to change

I got bored with the iPhone... and miss my Palm...
    Last edited by tigagreen; 06-05-2013 at 07:49 PM.
    macuser and Jetmech like this.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Regarding CON # 3: How is it a "CON" that the phone has features that you don't like?

I agree that some of the features (like the one that are supposed to "watch your eyes") don't work that great. But really, it's going to watch your eyes. Really Samsung.

But if you just don't use it, then that CON goes away. And if that feature is one of the main reasons that someone gets the S4, well shame on them for being so naive.
    The CON does not go away sure you can disable it along with all the other useless apps but it still takes up internal memory and knocks the memory in half on the base model

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    289 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lurk182 View Post
    The CON does not go away sure you can disable it along with all the other useless apps but it still takes up internal memory and knocks the memory in half on the base model
    Exaggerate much? The "eye watching" features do NOT take up HALF of the memory.
    Get an iPhone. I hear that their features don't use any memory at all!
    Galaxy Note 4, White, AT&T, 128 GB SD

Remove Ads

Links