Thread: microSD card problems

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    29 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just got a 64GB card the other day. Put over 14 gig on it. While I was doing a the first 10 gig transfer I got an error on my computer that the device stopped responding. I looked at what was there and could see it missed about 6 folders. I restarted the phone and put the other missed folders on it. No problems since then. I put another 4 gig on it today and it went smooth.
    Galaxy S4. SCH 1545 Verizon, 16GB Black Mist, 64GB SD

Junior Member Norwayinspired2010's Avatar
    Member #
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hello. I am new to the forum and am hoping to post more good things about my new Galaxy S4 then issues. LOL. But in the meantime, here is my experience. I just purchased my phone 4 days ago. I also purchased a scan disk 64GB SD card and inserted it after running through the initial set up of my phone upon delivery. Ever since I have put my music on the SD card and started to play it on my phone I have had major issues during play back of my songs. Either it suddenly pauses my music or my SD card suddenly unmounts and I have to remove the SD card, reinsert, reboot my phone and try again. It happens over and over and over. I also noticed at the same time, I get an error message saying an app I had downloaded on my phone called *clean master* was showing it had stopped running. I had saved the *clean master* app to my SD card. Today I became so frustrated I decided to uninstall completely the *clean master* app from my SD card and phone. I have not tried playing my music again to see if the issue is solved but I will certainly return here to let you all know. But so far, I am about ready to return the phone if this keeps up. I do not wish to constantly have to restart or remount my SD card in order to play music on my phone. I am too new a user yet to begin to find out if this phone has other issues. But I sure would feel better if someone could comment that Samsung is aware of this issue with playing music and/or with the SD card reader on their phones and are in the process of sending us an update with a fix, or recalling these phones. Ok, I have rambled enough. LOL. Any one care to respond? Please do!

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1411 times
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    @Norwayinspired2010

Welcome to the forum
    What we are attempting to do, without as much success as I had hoped for, is trying to determine if the problem is with 64GB cards, certain 64GB cards or the Android version on a specific model phone. I have, as do a few other people, 64GB cards that are working fine.

You mentioned SanDisk and they may possibly be a special case as they have recently had an issue with some microSD cards. At this time I don't feel it's a Samsung problem. Several people who voted neglected to say if they had a problem or not so I may need to attack this from a different direction.
    Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 - SGH-i337 on AT&T - and LG G4

Printing and file transfer tips
    WiFi connection tips. (modified 7/26/13)
    Current versions of Android don't support Flash player, try Puffin or Flashfox as an alternative browser.

Member #
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thank you for your quick reply Leeshor. I did some google searches and indeed found the information about sandisk having some defective 64GB SD cards. I have sent them an email discussing my problems to see if I can get a replacement. My husband said that here in Norway you can return a product to a store within 20 days under a *no questions asked* policy here. I just might do that. But I do want sandisk to be aware that there are still apparently defective SD cards out on the market. I think a company has an obligation to contact the retail stores that received the batches that were defective and ask they be pulled and replaced with a new batch. Unfortunately, it does not appear as if sandisk took this step. But I really appreciate your reply to my post and it has eased my worries about having to return the Samsung Galaxy S4. So far, I absolutely love it! Have a good day and I will be sure to let you all know what the final solution I chose for my SD issue.
    Leeshor likes this.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1411 times
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    2 32GB cards would likely work and may not even cost as much.

Current versions of Android don't support Flash player, try Puffin or Flashfox as an alternative browser.

Member #
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hello again Leeshor!

I have received an email today from SanDisk with the following admission:

Thanks for contacting SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.
    I understand that your SanDisk card is producing errors in your Samsung device.
    SanDisk has been made aware of potential product issues involving a very small percentage of its 32GB and 64GB SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSD cards. Under certain circumstances the cards may lock up and the card becomes inaccessible. The issue has been identified and a manufacturing fix has already been put in place.
    SanDisk stands behind its products and any customer who experiences this issue with microSDHC cards will be offered a replacement as long as the card is within warranty.
    We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused you and will replace your card if it is within warranty.

As you can certainly tell by their response email, they admit problems with both their 32GB and 64GB SD cards. I am upset, that they have decided to keep these defective cards circulating in retail stores, without issuing a recall. I feel like I am their consumer guinea pig. So, the idea of buying 2 32gb SD cards is not in my plans. Norway is one of the most expensive countries to live in and it is definitely not a cheaper option to purchase 2 smaller gb cards. LOL. Also, I have a lot of pictures I take and a lot of music I wish to keep in my library. I do not wish the inconvenience of changing out my SD cards. That was one of the major factors while I purchased this phone over the HTC One. I want and need more storage capacity when using my phone.

Anyways, I have decided to return for exchange this defective SD card to the place I purchased it. I also plan to have the retailer open the card, to compare serial numbers so I do not have the same batch of defective cards resold to me. Or, collect my refund and wander down the mall to the next store to purchase one from them. Either way, the final result is sandisk admits defective cards are out there and consumer beware, consumer be damned. LOL.

Have a great week. Thanks for your attention to this matter. I hope others who come to this forum will continue to vote and comment when they have issues. It really helped me a lot to know it was NOT a Samsung Galaxy S4 issue, but the Sandisk SD card!
    Leeshor likes this.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1411 times
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Good work, now maybe we're getting somewhere.
    Norwayinspired2010 likes this.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My 16gb lexar just crashed on my yesterday. I had maybe 2 or 3 movies on there...and that was it. Havne't been able to check if its corrupted or needs formatting or if its completely dead. But right now it can't read it, i remounted and rebooted a couple of times and still doesn't read it. If thats the case..good thing i didn't spend money on 64gb from the comments above. Maybe i should go back to my 2 gb microsd card that was in my bb!!

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    289 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctochico View Post
    My 16gb lexar just crashed on my yesterday. I had maybe 2 or 3 movies on there...and that was it. Havne't been able to check if its corrupted or needs formatting or if its completely dead. But right now it can't read it, i remounted and rebooted a couple of times and still doesn't read it. If thats the case..good thing i didn't spend money on 64gb from the comments above. Maybe i should go back to my 2 gb microsd card that was in my bb!!
    There is just TOO much hysteria over this issue. I don't know where folks are getting their cards, but maybe you got a bad card. I don't know. But I've had a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB SDXC card that has worked fine in three different phones, including the Galaxy S4.
    Galaxy Note 4, White, AT&T, 128 GB SD

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    4 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm using a 32GB Class 10 Lexar that I had used in an older Android smartphone with no problems. Everything reads fine.
    What users of the 64GB cards are likely experiencing is the requirement to use the exFAT file system with the larger than 32GB SD card size. The main way to solve this is to insert a new 64GB card and format it on the device as it may be difficult to format that file option on a PC.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Links