Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    494 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yes.
    If you've made any change, adding, removing, modifying anything in the system area, or having a non stock recovery, OTA updates will fail.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    478 times
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    If you plan on ever installing a rom, safest thing to do is freeze the update packages in tibu. It is widely expected that the next firmware update pushed by AT&T and Verizon will block the exploit that allows us to flash roms with a locked bootloader.

Member #
    Twitter
    iN0M0N
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    4 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danvee View Post
    Yes.
    If you've made any change, adding, removing, modifying anything in the system area, or having a non stock recovery, OTA updates will fail.
    I thought using Titanium Pro to freeze a file still allowed it to be updated when there is a update.
    Im not sure I understood or do.
    I have not deleted any files since I restored the bloatware I originally deleted so I think I should be back to the stock ROM

It wont allow for a update or OTA?
    I just want to clearly understand so that I can make the correct decisions when the time comes.

Thanks
    --
    JW

There is only one way to avoid critcism: do nothing, say nothing, be nothing! ~Aristotle~

I don't think so

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    478 times
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I'm talking about firmware (OS) updates, not updates to individual apps as you have frozen files the phone needs to accept an OTA firmware upgrade, the update would fail anyway and cause problems. If you freeze the FirmwareOTA packages in tibu, the phone won't even know an update is available and you can sail along happily.

Member #
    Twitter
    iN0M0N
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    4 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmech View Post
    I'm talking about firmware (OS) updates, not updates to individual apps as you have frozen files the phone needs to accept an OTA firmware upgrade, the update would fail anyway and cause problems. If you freeze the FirmwareOTA packages in tibu, the phone won't even know an update is available and you can sail along happily.
    What is it with these companies.
    Apple, Google, we purchase the devices they are ours...
    Its like buying a Chevy and them telling us we cant add a Alpine stereo or a aftermarket.

I assume that when 1 door closes another opens eventually.
    I would go after a rom but I am not clear at times if they are good or will work on a Verizon device.
    I was looking at 1 post and it saids its for a i9505, then I read another post that says its not for a Verizon device...

Frustrating and I know its on my end for not totally grasping this yet.
    But until then I will read, search, (misunderstand) ask, pray...
    Don't want to have a bricked device.
    --
    JW

There is only one way to avoid critcism: do nothing, say nothing, be nothing! ~Aristotle~

I don't think so

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    478 times
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Don't blame Google. This is all on AT&T and Verizon.
    Samsung builds the phones to the carriers spec. That's why TMO and Sprint variants ship with unlocked bootloaders. The next firmware upgrade by the evil two will almost positively patch the Loki exploit making romming impossible until another exploit is found, if possible, or somehow the unlock key is leaked from Samsung. So if you think one day you may want to rom, don't install a firmware update! Don't even let it get to your phone!

It's hard to brick one of these, but very easy to soft brick it also.

Member #
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Device
    SGH-M919
    Liked
    2614 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    "If you've changed/removed any system files", does that include freezing files via titanium pro?

THANKS
    No, as you can unfreeze them. If anything is missing it's very easy to odin back the stock firmware as long as it's been released. I've already odined mine back to stock and rerooted once.

Note 3 - DARTHSTALKER NOTE3 ☆ | VERSiON 7
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    478 times
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3876 View Post
    No, as you can unfreeze them. If anything is missing it's very easy to odin back the stock firmware as long as it's been released. I've already odined mine back to stock and rerooted once.
    Its kind of both. If you try to take an OTA with the files frozen it will fail and possibly soft brick. If he wanted to take an OTA he would have to unfreeze and/or reinstall everything the phone shipped with.

Member #
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Device
    SGH-M919
    Liked
    2614 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmech View Post
    Its kind of both. If you try to take an OTA with the files frozen it will fail and possibly soft brick. If he wanted to take an OTA he would have to unfreeze and/or reinstall everything the phone shipped with.
    I think that's what I was saying.

Note 3 - DARTHSTALKER NOTE3 ☆ | VERSiON 7
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    478 times
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3876 View Post
    I think that's what I was saying.
    :good:

Unfortunately I can't help much in the Verizon department. I'm currently on an I9505 ROM but I'm on AT&T. Since you are using TWRP, just make sure you do a backup of your EFS partition(IF Verizon even has EFS stuff. It's essentially your IMEI #) People have lost their IMEI's when flashing international ROMS. It can be difficult/impossible to restore. I know @wicked has extensively modded his I545.

Essentially you can load any ROM or kernel that's been LOKI patched. If you load something w/o LOKI or something not for your phone, odds are you will just end up with a soft brick. I.E. won't boot past Samsung logo or bootloops. This is easily recovered by either restoring a working nandroid through TWRP or odin'ing back to stock. If you can get into recovery or download mode, you aren't hard bricked. The only way I know of to hard brick this phone is by applying the Google Wallet mod, then flashing a new rom, then restoring Google Wallet data through TiBu. For some reason that bricks the phone. I asked why on XDA and never got a reply. It is not recommended you download the ROM's from you phone, most recommend downloading from the PC then transferring to the SD card, although people do download from the phone quite often :\.

It looks like you're pretty much set right now. If you need a hand Romming though give us a shout out

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Links