Close
    Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Angry Poor signal strength

Has anyone else been experiencing reduced signal strength from their previous phones? I'm on Verizon. I came from an iPhone 4 and it got way better signal than my GS4. I live in a deadzone and the only place I really get consistent service (judging from my iPhone) is upstairs next to a window. When I used my iPhone I could consistently count in 1-2 bars in that spot, allowing me to make calls decently and send text messages with no problem. With my GS4, in the exact same spot, it floats between 0 and 1 bars. I can hardly make/receive phone calls--sometimes people call me and my phone doesn't even ring--and sending text messages is a nightmare because 9 out of 10 times it will fail to send at least once (usually I have to try 2-3 times just to send ONE message). In high traffic urban areas, I got 5 bars no problem with my iPhone. Now I can only get 3-4 bars max... I don't think I've ever gotten full bars with the GS4. I got it a month and a half ago so I can't return it. Is anyone else seeing the same kind of reduced signal strength or could my phone just have a defective antenna?

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    275 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Your iPhone was NOT LTE, your S4 is LTE. So the two phones are actually on different networks. Therefore, there is no direct way to compare signal strength. Change carriers.
    S4 SGH-I337, 32 GB, Black, AT&T, 64 GB SD

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Your iPhone was NOT LTE, your S4 is LTE. So the two phones are actually on different networks. Therefore, there is no direct way to compare signal strength. Change carriers.
    For voice on verizon, S4 does not use LTE network.....rather traditional 1xRTT CDMA same as iPhone......From prior posters experience.....iPhone has better RF performance for calls than S4. Yet S4 is better than many others.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    275 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jt25741 View Post
    For voice on verizon, S4 does not use LTE network.....rather traditional 1xRTT CDMA same as iPhone......From prior posters experience.....iPhone has better RF performance for calls than S4. Yet S4 is better than many others.
    Verizon

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm having the same problem. My son recommended I find this forum to find out if anyone else is having the same problem and here you are! My phone is about a week old and replaced my old flip phone or as my friends referred to it, two cans and a string. I NEVER had a problem with a strong signal and now, in the very same locations, calls are cutting in and out, calls are dropped, the phone doesn't ring or, like you, it takes 3 or 4 tries to get a call placed. I've been with Verizon all the time so the carrier isn't an option. I wondered if I had a defective phone but based on your remarks, I don't think the phone is defective - I think the product is defective. Any thoughts on what I can do?

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    275 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The product is not defective. I have one on AT&T and it works great. Unless maybe Verizon just sucks. That's possible.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    44 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Mine's Verizon (SCH-I545) and works well, including in low signal areas. It does better than my previous phone, which was also a Samsung (Droid Charge, a Verizon-only model).
    -Rich
    An engineer thinks the glass is twice as big as you needed
    Galaxy S4 (Hyperdrive) - Nexus 7 (CleanROM) - Droid Charge (Tweaked ROM, Lazarus kernel)
    '01 Suzuki Intruder 800

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    61 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the93owner View Post
    Has anyone else been experiencing reduced signal strength from their previous phones? I'm on Verizon. I came from an iPhone 4 and it got way better signal than my GS4. I live in a deadzone and the only place I really get consistent service (judging from my iPhone) is upstairs next to a window. When I used my iPhone I could consistently count in 1-2 bars in that spot, allowing me to make calls decently and send text messages with no problem. With my GS4, in the exact same spot, it floats between 0 and 1 bars. I can hardly make/receive phone calls--sometimes people call me and my phone doesn't even ring--and sending text messages is a nightmare because 9 out of 10 times it will fail to send at least once (usually I have to try 2-3 times just to send ONE message). In high traffic urban areas, I got 5 bars no problem with my iPhone. Now I can only get 3-4 bars max... I don't think I've ever gotten full bars with the GS4. I got it a month and a half ago so I can't return it. Is anyone else seeing the same kind of reduced signal strength or could my phone just have a defective antenna?
    Odds are you got a bad phone. I would return it for a new one.

Links