Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Device
    GT-I9500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wifi and Bluetooth won't turn on

My wifi and bluetooth go a light green when i try switch on but nothing ever connects then t returns to grey. THis goes on for hours and hours.
    Ive done a factory reset and it maybe improved things for a day or so now the problem is back.
    Model Number - GT-I9500
    ANdroid Number 4.2.2
    Network - Vodacom SA
    Please help me to correct this error. This is some seriously bad PR from Samsung we pay out our rear and two or three months later the phone has gone to crap and noone can help me at all.
    Last edited by Leeshor; 10-28-2013 at 06:37 AM. Reason: language

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1260 times
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Welcome

There are several possibilities for the WiFi issue including power management apps or settings, same for blue tooth. The blue tooth problem is a tad more strange than the WiFi. I'm not positive if you are saying that WiFi won't turn on or is it that it won't connect, or just not see any WiFi devices.

Also, try to remember that this is a family friendly site so keep your descriptions and frustrations a little more family friendly. Thanks!
    SGS3 SGH-i747 / SGS4 (32GB) SGH-i337 on AT&T - and LG Optimus G Pro

Printing and file transfer tips
    WiFi connection tips. (modified 7/26/13)
    Current Adobe Flash Player for the S4 - direct download 11.1.115.81 2/10/14

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hello Leeshor,

I have exactly the same problem. It's not what you suggested that it won't connect or won't show devices, it just doesn't turn on. I bought the phone just last week and from the beginning on there was this problem. When I hit the WiFi on/off switch it switches for halve a second and then it will switch back off again. Same thing with bluetooth (which is a way smaller problem). Please can someone help with this because I can't really use my phone right now!

Thanks in advance,
    Ian Wensink

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    1260 times
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Welcome Ian
    If you had the problem from the start and it's only a week old I would get it exchanged ASAP.
    SGS3 SGH-i747 / SGS4 (32GB) SGH-i337 on AT&T - and LG Optimus G Pro

Printing and file transfer tips
    WiFi connection tips. (modified 7/26/13)
    Current Adobe Flash Player for the S4 - direct download 11.1.115.81 2/10/14

Member #
    Device
    GT-I9500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The answer is to do the Samsung Update. They're on it, evidently. I ran the update. My wifi and bluetooth now turn on. Voila.

BTW i have concluded that the root cause is either a power saving app or MSOffice 365.
    Last edited by LeanSS; 12-25-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Member #
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have had the same problem with my Galaxy S4. WiFi wont turn on, the wifi button will not turn on. I have had my S4 since August, wifi worked fine until two or so months ago - at a similar time to when I updated to android 4.3..?
    I have deleted and uninstalled the battery saving app that I had installed, but no luck. Bluetooth still works fine.
    Do you have any suggestions, short of doing a factory reset, I would rather avoid that if possible, because I don't want to loose everything else on my phone.
    Thanks

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Same story - one day my phone just had wifi switched off ... couldn't switch it back on, the button went green for half a second then returned to disabled. Reading this thread I'll try the doftware update but I wanted to add that I don't have (or ever had) the power management apps you guys are considering as a cause.

Just an aside to the guy who's had his phone less then a week - welcome to the nightmare and brace yourself! I've been an S4 user for just less than 6 months... in that time my handset has been sent off for diagnosis or repair a total of 4 times (through handset faults) and again in that 6 month period I am on my third handset after my mobile provider had to replace it again due to major faults! In fact, in the first 3 months of S4 ownership I had the phone working and in my posession less than 5 weeks in total.

My variety of problems to date have so far included:
    *faulty internal microphone and earpiece so silent calls and petson on the other end couldn't hear me either. (Affected 2 handsets ... no reason ever given);
    *Phone switched itself off at random (even at full charge) and wouldn't switch back on. (Affected 2 handsets ... no reason given);
    *Battery inflated and couldn't be charged.(Affected 1 handset ... apparently a known manufacturing issue);
    *touch screen non-responsive. (Affected 1 handset ... known manufacturing issue);
    *and now of course can't enable wifi.

...despite all this, in the very brief time the phone is usable, it's much better than iphone!

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelwatt View Post
    My wifi and bluetooth go a light green when i try switch on but nothing ever connects then t returns to grey. THis goes on for hours and hours.
    Ive done a factory reset and it maybe improved things for a day or so now the problem is back.
    Model Number - GT-I9500
    ANdroid Number 4.2.2
    Network - Vodacom SA
    Please help me to correct this error. This is some seriously bad PR from Samsung we pay out our rear and two or three months later the phone has gone to crap and noone can help me at all.
    please someone help me Im having the same problem. my phone is updated and my wifi & Bluetooth don't want to work. it stopped yesterday. does anyone know what to do please!?

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    555 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Have you tried all of the advice given above?

Member #
    Device
    SGH-M919
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same situation and here's my story and how to fix it.

I opened a new line with T-Mobile back when the Galaxy S4 first arrived. I purchased it brand new on the pay as you go plan. Around December last year, my brand new T-Mobile Galaxy S4 was stolen. I had insurance so i had it replaced (at the cost of $175 of course). What was sent to me was a refurbished Galaxy S4 (this is almost always the case).

I'll be honest, i had both my current phone and my last phone rooted. It was a risk i had taken many times before and never had any problems with. However, in this past year, Samsung has introduced Knox security, which essentially trips something in the phone which will give away that you modified your phone's firmware. This is what prevented me from just using warranty to get the phone fixed through T-Mobile or replaced.

What's important to know here is that the cause of the problem was not that the phone had been rooted because my original brand new phone was also rooted and working perfectly only it was stolen. This only prevented me from having T-Mobile fix the problem with the WiFi and Bluetooth because the Knox security would alert them and they would deny me service on those grounds.

The actual problem and here's what you all need to know is that since my phone was refurbished a few parts had been replaced internally in particular the WiFi antenna was not the OEM antenna and it was the problem.

I took my phone in to a local cell phone shop repair and the guy there was nice enough to pull apart my phone free of charge and he did one simple thing that i never would have thought to do. He unplugged the wifi/bluetooth antenna and plugged it back in and then turned on the phone and tada the wifi/bluetooth worked again. The issue where the wifi and bluetooth wouldn't turn on went away. He told me if it ever happened again, i may have to replace the wifi antenna.

I've had to repeat his process a few times since then, which is not difficult, but the fact that i have to do it at all is taking me to the next step where i'm going to purchase a new antenna.

Here's a video

not my own but demonstrates how to pull apart the phone easily. To get to the antenna which is blue colored along the right side of the battery compartment you only have to get to about 2:48 in the video.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links