Member #
    Device
    GT-I9500
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GT-I9500 13MP Camera not as expected

Hi. Apparently many users of the Galaxy S4 have a problem (Or not?) with the rear 13MP camera, including myself.

I had an S2 for a year, take enough photos of good quality, then a S3 which also took great pictures and now acquired the S4, now 5 months with me... the pictures it takes are not the best, leaves much desired compared to previous series of Galaxy, know the reason (could be a different focus system or sensor of the S2 and S3 to get the phone slimmer or something are missing)

I have tried all configurations of the native Samsung camera, night mode, measurements, anti-vibration, even third apps and the results are similar, lacking sharp photos to be 13MP (TOO BLURRY OR FUZZY) but it shows mostly in medium / low light.

Photos in daylight or good lighting, I could say that it's good but sometimes it takes blurry shots. Normally its OK but for example I took a trip last year to Orlando, 300 photos that I took and other tourists takes for me, at least 100 out acceptably and most of they took by me but all the others who took for me were blurry in the most of cases, that's unacceptable. I do not understand, faulty camera? Anything that causes lag in speed enough to choke that images in the minimum movement to get blurry?

A friend who had a S4 told me the same and he change it for a Nexus 5, He told me that his Nexus 5 take better pictures than S4, faster focus and sharpness... I've seen pictures on the Internet made ​with ​S4, some really come with exceptional quality, as well as others with poor quality and as many complain of this problem, I don't understand but I'm pretty sure that the S3 or S2 camera has better focus and stabilization than S4, It seems Samsung change something maybe to get Burst-Mode or Slow-Mo?

Another thing that I 've noticed is that if the shutter speed is slower in the S4, that is why I think the pictures come out blurry in the minimun movement (When you tap the screen to take it), the S3 is much faster I could see when using the camera coming from an S3.

Here below I'll post some shots I did at this time, were spontaneous just point and shoot without wasting much time but with the correct focus (green focus) without flash.

Comparison between my S4 and my iPhone 5S

Galaxy S4 1

iPhone 5S 1

Galaxy S4 2

iPhone 5S 2

Galaxy S4 3

iPhone 5S 3

Galaxy S4 4

iPhone 5S 4

Galaxy S4 5

iPhone 5S 5

Galaxy S4, daylight.

I've tested with Anti-Vibration or Night Mode ON/OFF, different ROMS, 4.3, 4.4.2, plastic cover on the camera removed after get it and made no much difference. You need to FREEZE your hands to get a Good Shot, that's not happen with S2, S3 or iPhone 5S!!!

Why?? Any Fix? Or the S4 it's just like that? I like more the S4 than my iPhone 5S due to the Overall-OS and screen but I lost too much kodak moments with the S4...

If someone want more comparisons between this both phones or the S3, just talk to me.
    horangeh likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Unfortunately, I have to fully agree with you.
    Using Tapatalk

Member #
    Device
    GT-I9500
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocott View Post
    Unfortunately, I have to fully agree with you.
    That's sad Im planning to sell the S4 to get another android phone with a accurate camera (Xperia Z1? HTC One? Galaxy S5?) keep with the iphone 5s or wait until some fix...

You should try an app called "Snap HDR Camera" and tell me if you get better shots. That app have an setting that let you set the focus time in "0" seconds... It gives shorter time focus and less lag than the stock camera app.
    Last edited by Honchay; 03-21-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Senior Member lucianus_luciferus's Avatar
    Member #
    Device
    GT-I9505
    Liked
    178 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    with no optical image stabilisation you will always need alot of light to take decent pics
    or a very steady hand
    Honchay likes this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    --- Galaxy S6 SM-G920 Black 5.1.1
    Galaxy S4 I9505 Black Rooted 4.4.2
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Dif
    Member #
    Device
    GT-I9500
    Liked
    5 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucianus_luciferus View Post
    with no optical image stabilisation you will always need alot of light to take decent pics
    or a very steady hand
    I agree ... there has to lots of light.
    When i first got the S4 i was amazed at the Quality of the pictures, but, then sometimes the pictures were not very good.
    It was when there wasn't enough light, cloudy day etc,.. that the pictures would be less than stellar ..

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's the best real cam comparison I've seen between S4 and Iphone 5S. All other 'professional' and 'user' comparisons are just fluff. Thank you for that OP!

I wonder if S4 can get better pics in manual mode if you increase the ISO to increase the shutter speed, and take the pic with a voice command or on timer, to reduce camera shake?

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got the S4 and the answer of my question above is NO. Increasing the ISO manually to anything above 200 in low light leads to very noisy pics to the point the noise destroys the details. The best solution is to turn on Automatic night detection in very low light (lower than 10 lux), which will try to remove the noise by snapping several exposures and averaging. In low light (between 10 lux and 20 lux) the Automatic night detection will not "detect" so you have to force the camera by selecting Night mode (even if it's a dim light not night). That will remove noise by averaging but you will loose sharpness and details in the resulting pics. So sadly your pics in low light will be either sharp but super noisy or not noisy but soft.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    29 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Get a camera to take "real" photos. A phone camera is always going to be a compromise.
    Galaxy S4. SCH 1545 Verizon, 16GB Black Mist, 64GB SD

Remove Ads

Links