Device
    none
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Expected more strength :(

Hi all

After much anticipation and a waiting period from my carrier I finally recieved my S4 on Friday afternoon. The next day I went out and purchased the pricey Samsung S-View flip cover.

Two evenings later the phone unfortunately slipped off my lap and took a small 40-50cm drop to the floor. I assumed the phone would have been ok but to my surprise I noticed that the screen had cracked all the from the back button in a curve ending at the power button.

IMG-20130515-01100 (Small).jpg

I was upset and even more so as the phone was in the s view cover but unfortunately it easily flipped open during the fall.

The phone still works with no issues but the cracked screen is quite an eye sore. I have since returned the S-View cover and opted for a clear case mate cover. It does have a 1mm space between the floor and phone when placed face down and hopefully this will offer some sort of screen protection should it unfortunately go skydiving again.

I queried with my carrier about the accidental damage warranty being provided by Samsung which covers 2 incidents in a 2 year period (2 water damages or 2 cracked screens or 1 of each) but unfortunately they were all lost and didnt even know about the said warranty. Finally I managed to get a hold of samsung and registered for the warranty by sending in my imei number. However there is no stock of S4 spares at Samsung's repair centre or any of their authorized agents.

I am going to put up with the cracked screen for as long as possible as to save my adh warranty for the possibility of more serious damage.

I must say I am dissapointed in the overall strength of this phone as I have dropped previous nokia's and blackberries from much higher distances without the screens cracking. However I am pleased that Samsung has offered the ADH warranty, a first for any manufacturer in my neck of the woods.

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    173 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I wouldn't fret too much. Replacement S3 glass costs 12 dollars and can be replaced with a simple hairdryer and a sturdy guitar pick. : )
    S4 glass will be out soon and it should be as easy to replace.
    ggrant3876 and rishaada like this.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well it really depends on point of contact.. check this out.. i guess camera glass needs to be improved

Member #
    Device
    SCH-I545
    Liked
    173 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'll bet that if he ran over an egg a car it would break too. So, we better tell the chickens to grow the shells thicker. Sorry, I just think it's silly as all heck to run over a phone with a car and say it's the phone's fault that it broke.

Member #
    Device
    SGH-I337
    Liked
    289 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    When it comes to smart phone drops, it's pretty much the luck of how it lands. You can drop one many times and it won't break, but when it lands the wrong way: BOOM!
    The only real solution is a good case or good luck.
    Jetmech likes this.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    21 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jspradling7 View Post
    I'll bet that if he ran over an egg a car it would break too. So, we better tell the chickens to grow the shells thicker. Sorry, I just think it's silly as all heck to run over a phone with a car and say it's the phone's fault that it broke.
    I had asked if he tried it with the other side of the phone face down. The fact that the camera lens sticks out compared to the rest of the back and the fact that that side was on the asphalt had a lot to do with it. I also do agree that its a bit of a silly test to run over it with a car. 99.9999% of "normal" incidents don't involve running over your phone with a car and one shouldn't expect it to be indestructible.

Member #
    Device
    none
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    When it comes to smart phone drops, it's pretty much the luck of how it lands. You can drop one many times and it won't break, but when it lands the wrong way: BOOM!
    The only real solution is a good case or good luck.
    This. I dropped mine from double the distance in cold hard concrete face down and it was like nothing happened. I am using a Ballistic case for my phone

Super Moderator Quicksilver7714's Avatar
    Member #
    Device
    none
    Liked
    169 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I just want to point out that the S-View cover is not a case. It may protect the screen from scratched while inning pocket but that's all.

As for you carrier not beg able to provide warranty, that's BS. If you are paying for a protection plan out should be able to get a replacement device.
    Respect is #1 on the forum
    S4 Forum Guidelines of Conduct

Remove Ads

Links